jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus,Bougainvillea juniper
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Queensland

First Native

Post by jgmansell »

I have just pruned my first native and would appreciate any advice for future development as I am just an amateur. Not sure if I have done enough, too much, or just made a mess. The trunk is 30mm diameter and 300mm high after pruning. The root system looked very healthy and I probably removed about a quarter.
Thanks
john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Re: First Native

Post by LLK »

Good choice for a first native, I'd say. Little bottle brush with good movement. Styling OK, but..... Considering the type and size of the foliage, the design of this tree would benefit from being taller, so my advice is: encourage it to grow. A bonsai pot now is a bit premature; put it in an orchid pot and give it at least a couple of years before reducing the pot size, preferably more. Also: the present planting is too high.
All the best,

Lisa
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

LLK wrote: July 27th, 2019, 8:44 am Good choice for a first native, I'd say. Little bottle brush with good movement. Styling OK, but..... Considering the type and size of the foliage, the design of this tree would benefit from being taller, so my advice is: encourage it to grow. A bonsai pot now is a bit premature; put it in an orchid pot and give it at least a couple of years before reducing the pot size, preferably more. Also: the present planting is too high.
All the best,

Lisa
Thanks Lisa, I bought this as tubestock about 4 years ago and put in an orchid pot for a couple before moving it to this one. I only have a few so a bit too keen to get it into a bonsai pot. I thought it was too high in the pot but I didn’t want to cut too much off the roots and kill it too quickly. I guess I will let it recover now then have another go later, but I appreciate your advice.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

All the things Lisa said are true, but at my place trees in bonsai pots get much better attention than those in plastic pots. And I have many more bonsai pots than I have orchard pots. Bottlebrush are tough in my experience and will grow OK in that pot anyway.
Just a different perspective.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

Watto, you are probably right in your estimate that this bottlebrush will grow OK in that pot, especially since it's in Queensland, but jgmansell only has a few trees and is unlikely to neglect it. Also, planting it in an orchid pot (what is an orchard pot?) would have allowed deeper planting. jgmansell: when you want to gradually reduce the roots, cut what you want and plant the tree lower in less soil than before. Some people just cut an ordinary black plastic pot back to the height they need.

Lisa
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

Thanks again Lisa and Watto. So here is another question, is it too late now to cut more off the roots and plant it lower? If not, how long should I leave it before I do?

john
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

I'd leave it alone, now, unless you want to slip pot it into an orchid pot so that you can cover the upper roots. Better a generous rootball than too small a one. It'll just grow better this year.

Lisa
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

LLK wrote: July 28th, 2019, 3:21 pm I'd leave it alone, now, unless you want to slip pot it into an orchid pot so that you can cover the upper roots. Better a generous rootball than too small a one. It'll just grow better this year.

Lisa
Thanks Lisa, I will leave it for now.

Return to “Callistemon”