greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Callistemon stump

Post by greg27 »

Driving to the shops yesterday, this stump caught my eye - I wandered back this morning and ripped it out. Someone's obviously tried to get rid of it but it fought back. It came out of the ground easily - there were another two trunks that had rotted away a bit, and a bit of back and forth was enough to get it out with just my hands. Half of the trunk is dead but the other half is still powering on.

It came out with hardly any roots. I know these guys are tough but I may have put it through too much punishment after ripping it out and chainsawing it's head off. Better I give it a chance and kill it accidentally than someone coming back and deliberately getting rid of it for good I suppose. There are a lot of buds starting to pop on the thin branches so fingers crossed these keep going.

Some Seasol mixed with water from my weeping willow cuttings for now and I'll leave this guy to recover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Callistemon stump

Post by Watto »

Good luck with it. Keep it well watered (wet) and give it 12 months, even if it looses all it leaves.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

awesome find mate. i was speaking to a cbs member recently and they have a callistemon stump they rescued after the belconnen mall was knocked down. He said it took like 8 months before it showed any signs of life above ground. So look after it well and it will reward your patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

That's one hell of a stump Greg. As Keels says, they can take some time to show life above ground. I rescued a tree a neighbour had removed his garden some months back and it took some time to show it was a survivor. Good luck.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Thanks all, I'll give it plenty of water and time, and cross my fingers!

Return to “Callistemon”