Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Keels »

Josh I'm a big fan of the trees you dig. I enjoy seeing what your up to when you post to Facebook. I thought i dig big trees but your next level. Super keen to see how the tree progresses as I've got a few big callistemons myself.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Keels wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm Josh I'm a big fan of the trees you dig. I enjoy seeing what your up to when you post to Facebook. I thought i dig big trees but your next level. Super keen to see how the tree progresses as I've got a few big callistemons myself.
Cheers mate. Glad you enjoy them. I love the challenge, I’ve had my eye on these for a few years so super happy I got them. Big trees are a long term project but one thing love about natives is they don’t stop growing so they fill out fast. Looking forward to developing these and will definitely update them. Only problem with big trees I had to buy another 50 bags of potting to replace what these used up 🤦‍♂️ Now to start saving for pots.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

:o :shock: :lost:
As Robin might say: "Holy big bonsai batman!"
Makes me think more of Niwaki ... people often talk of and love Japanese gardens, especially courtyard gardens - I certainly do and have many books on them.
I wonder whether these could be native Australian niwaki in an native Australian styled courtyard .... could be cool ... native bonsai and nikawi surrounding a raked dry river bed...
:geek:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Josh wrote: May 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm
Keels wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm Josh I'm a big fan of the trees you dig. I enjoy seeing what your up to when you post to Facebook. I thought i dig big trees but your next level. Super keen to see how the tree progresses as I've got a few big callistemons myself.
.... Only problem with big trees I had to buy another 50 bags of potting to replace what these used up 🤦‍♂️ Now to start saving for pots.
Sounds like you need a sponsorship deal or two :lol: now who would entertain the idea :lost: garden centres cafes or machinery businesses..... You promote their business they scratch your back... Just one of my crazy ideas i guess :tu:
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

stump or twig-I'm happy as long as it looks like an old tree. 'increase technique repertoire'
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

MJL wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:14 pm :o :shock: :lost:
Makes me think more of Niwaki ... people often talk of and love Japanese gardens, especially courtyard gardens - I certainly do and have many books on them.
I wonder whether these could be native Australian niwaki in an native Australian styled courtyard .... could be cool ... native bonsai and nikawi surrounding a raked dry river bed...
I’m a landscaper and work mainly with natives due to our area. This is something I’ve been discussing with my boss and he’s keen on the idea so some may head in that direction yet. I’d like to keep a couple as large “manicured” trees so to speak. I love the Japanese garden with large trees that are manicured.
Love you idea of one these with a raked dry river Bec.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Keels wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:17 pm
Josh wrote: May 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm
.... Only problem with big trees I had to buy another 50 bags of potting to replace what these used up 🤦‍♂️ Now to start saving for pots.
Sounds like you need a sponsorship deal or two :lol: now who would entertain the idea :lost: garden centres cafes or machinery businesses..... You promote their business they scratch your back... Just one of my crazy ideas i guess :tu:
Already got some deals going with a couple of nurseries swapping trees for pots or equipment so not such a crazy idea mate. I dug a heap of azaleas and camellias a while back so once recovered I’ll be doing trades with those.
Barter is the best form of sales in my opinion lol
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Josh wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 8:31 am
I’m a landscaper and work mainly with natives due to our area. This is something I’ve been discussing with my boss and he’s keen on the idea so some may head in that direction yet. I’d like to keep a couple as large “manicured” trees so to speak. I love the Japanese garden with large trees that are manicured.
Cool. I think I have the right Josh and if so, see you at Waverley when meetings re-commence. Cheers, Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

MJL wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:08 am
Josh wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 8:31 am
Cool. I think I have the right Josh and if so, see you at Waverley when meetings re-commence. Cheers, Mark
Yep, you’ve got the right Josh. Hopefully not too much longer mate
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

HI josh , very nice score , good to see an Excavator assisting the loading process .

Personally I'd rather look at a trunk than a twig , shaped or not . Thank god were all different in this hobby .

Cheers . Alpine
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

alpineart wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 8:05 am HI josh , very nice score , good to see an Excavator assisting the loading process .

Personally I'd rather look at a trunk than a twig , shaped or not . Thank god were all different in this hobby .

Cheers . Alpine
Cheers mate. I was expecting to dig them but very happy when he called the excavator over. Good operator too. Dug them out and dropped them nicely on the Ute.
These have nice trunks too so should shape up ok.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

These are starting to bud back along the trunks nicely. 3 guaranteed survival, 2 are 80% confident they’ll make it, 1 still 50/50 and think I’ve lost 1 for sure. 6 out of 7 isn’t bad. I got to collect another 4 medium size ones from the same place again dug with the excavator.
C00F89F2-9111-4F0F-9E62-F5F93FF63998.jpeg
CE10EC25-A522-4806-B200-111698F62D1E.jpeg
D560BC6A-0EBE-4340-A83D-C0235907E821.jpeg
44E26D47-5F37-4710-9ADF-AB935993616F.jpeg
ED2E3680-79CD-42F4-BC2E-32FE617B0FC0.jpeg
B45B970A-2024-44B5-9DE3-2B4E1D19FEC6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Some really nice stock there Josh . Thanks for the update .
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Thought I’d do a quick update on these. They recovered well. Kept 4 to play with at the moment. Got 1 left to sell still. Here’s two I’ve been working on.
5160720E-6B4D-484A-A5A7-4DCA31C84C01.jpeg
E7BE6ECF-0DA2-48C4-AA9C-11D79798B075.jpeg
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

183B79CB-0863-4B1D-9D2C-FB42F4877F1D.jpeg

Return to “Callistemon”