Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Collected Callistemon

Post by Josh »

So the shopping centre across the road is doing a multi million dollar reno. I've had my eyes on some callistemon in the car park for some time so figured now was a good time to try. Had a chat to the foreman who said he would call me if they pulled them out. Got a phone call to dig them out so very happy now.
IMG_9786.JPG
IMG_9787.JPG
IMG_9789.JPG
4.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
I have a heater in the hot house and mist sprays to keep humidity and temp up. The one that was too big for the hot house I built a hot house over it to help recovery. Fingers crossed now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Watto »

That is a find. I hope they are successful. I personally have found these to be quite tough so I am confident.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

:o Cripes.

I hope your daughter gets into bonsai, otherwise you’re going to develop the worst hernias when you get much older champ.

You’re like the anti-shohin grower. That is a gargantuan effort.

Personally I don’t see the value in material this big, but I admire and will enjoy watching your efforts. I find that anything much taller than a metre is too difficult.

And thanks to Steven and Treeman they have sparked my interest in the smaller and smaller trees.

But wow, when gargantuan bonsai come back strongly in popularity, you’ll make a fortune.

Well done.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I already feel the back pain Rory. Too big for me too but it is the big ones that get all the attention at shows and these should have great potential for large and medium size bonsai.
I've also found callistemon quite resilient and most of the transplants I've done have survived. A couple had been lying on the side of the road for a couple of days when I rescued them and still managed to grow.
From the bark and habit I'm guessing these are c. 'little john' which has been popular as a smaller callistemon.

We will watch with interest for further development when these recover from transplant. Hope you are familiar with carving dead wood.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Nice score. I saw these pop up on Facebook a few days back and I'm still trying to picture the look on my wife's face if I rocked up home with something like this.

Don't stress if they lose all their leaves - I had this happen to a dug callistemon and, after sulking for a few months, it started throwing buds out everywhere.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I do love big bonsai, but that’s a step too far for me :o Repotting would involve an engine crane at minimum I should think!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

shibui wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:47 am the big ones that get all the attention at shows
Yes and this is directly proportional to the viewer's level of sophistication.
Personally I'd rather look at a nicely shaped twig than a boringly shaped gigantic tree.
(Not referring to your Callistemons Josh)
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Me too Mike.
I'll usually just walk past those giants with barely a glance to look at the more interesting smaller trees.

Big is not always better, especially in bonsai
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

A multitude of sins can be hidden in a big bonsai
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Rory wrote: May 1st, 2020, 7:14 am :o Cripes.

I hope your daughter gets into bonsai, otherwise you’re going to develop the worst hernias when you get much older champ.

You’re like the anti-shohin grower. That is a gargantuan effort.

Personally I don’t see the value in material this big, but I admire and will enjoy watching your efforts. I find that anything much taller than a metre is too difficult.

And thanks to Steven and Treeman they have sparked my interest in the smaller and smaller trees.

But wow, when gargantuan bonsai come back strongly in popularity, you’ll make a fortune.

Well done.
Got plenty of small too mate. These will be long term trees, no hurry on them. Already got offers to buy them so selling them won’t be an issue. I collect and sell all the time so have people looking for trees so know when I’m collecting if I want to sell I can. I keep the good what I want, sell what I don’t and it pays for the ones I keep.

Cheers
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

shibui wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:47 am I already feel the back pain Rory. Too big for me too but it is the big ones that get all the attention at shows and these should have great potential for large and medium size bonsai.
I've also found callistemon quite resilient and most of the transplants I've done have survived. A couple had been lying on the side of the road for a couple of days when I rescued them and still managed to grow.
From the bark and habit I'm guessing these are c. 'little john' which has been popular as a smaller callistemon.

We will watch with interest for further development when these recover from transplant. Hope you are familiar with carving dead wood.
I’m set up pretty well for handling big trees now so not too bad. I wouldn’t say big trees get all the attention, a well defined small tree kills a big tree every time imho.
Yes I’d agree on Little john. Couple of these have potential to be cut back a lot yet. Some will be larger. I’m also a landscaper so if they don’t work for me as bonsai I can easily sell them feature trees worse case scenario. Carving is no issue if needed, it’s a prerequisite on most big trees 😁.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

greg27 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:57 am Nice score. I saw these pop up on Facebook a few days back and I'm still trying to picture the look on my wife's face if I rocked up home with something like this.

Don't stress if they lose all their leaves - I had this happen to a dug callistemon and, after sulking for a few months, it started throwing buds out everywhere.
My wife’s used to it now or she just doesn’t care anymore 😂. I pulled up with the first ute load and she was ok until I told it was only two trees in ute 😂
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

TimS wrote: May 1st, 2020, 11:38 am I do love big bonsai, but that’s a step too far for me :o Repotting would involve an engine crane at minimum I should think!
No engine crane here mate (not yet). I’m set up pretty well for handling big trees. I’m thinking this is my limit now although I do have one with agonis with a trunk 600mm across.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

treeman wrote: May 1st, 2020, 1:47 pm
shibui wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:47 am the big ones that get all the attention at shows
Yes and this is directly proportional to the viewer's level of sophistication.
Personally I'd rather look at a nicely shaped twig than a boringly shaped gigantic tree.
(Not referring to your Callistemons Josh)
My personal hate is stump bonsai. A tree cut off as a stump with some branches. There’s got to be something more to it for me, taper, nebari, Shari, character etc. finding that in large trees can be hard.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

I’m happy for people to start with a stump and create a bonsai from it, but to try to pass off a stump as bonsai is just plain wrong.

I have a couple of ginkgos im starting from stumps, but I’m careful not to refer to them as being bonsai at this stage. They are pre-bonsai or projects and probably will be for a few decades until I would be able to call them bonsai I’m good conscience

Anyway I digress, a well developed large bonsai is a treat to see, so I’ll enjoy following this along

Return to “Callistemon”