Bottle Brush
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Callistemon LG 2

Post by Starfox »

Thought I'd share this guy with you all.

Back in December I came across this at my go to Bonsai merchant and snapped it up. I have only ever seen two proper Callistemon for sale here and, well I have both of them. lol

Anyway this was the tree back in April with a few flowers on it, no work had been done by me at this stage.
IMG_7380.,.jpg

You can kind of tell it looks like it was an air layer and was used as maybe a practice or demo tree, parts of the trunk look to have been carved then blow torched.
I don't mind the idea but clearly I will need to fix up that area somewhat, not really sure where to begin but I have a Dremel and know just enough to be dangerous.

So back in June it was repot time, and as you can see it badly needed it.
IMG_7536s.jpg
Fortunately I just had a delivery from Australia with some new shoes for it which should keep it happy for a while.
This is the tree today, even a little bit of colour there as the second flush of flowers are coming in. Might even get a third if I'm lucky.
IMG_9417fs.jpg

Trunk area
IMG_9420s.jpg

Tiny flowers
IMG_9421fs.jpg

Never mind the LG 2 part, it's just my file code.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Callistemon LG 2

Post by Keels »

Starfox i love callistemons as bonsai. She looks like beauty. Be keen to see how she develops :tu:
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Keels wrote: August 1st, 2020, 8:59 pm Starfox i love callistemons as bonsai. She looks like beauty. Be keen to see how she develops :tu:
Same here, they are the tree that inspired me to start in the first place after seeing pics of them as bonsai.
Hopefully I can get it to fill out more.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Nice start on this Starfox... the new pot is definitely a step up! :yes: :beer:
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 1st, 2020, 9:50 pm Nice start on this Starfox... the new pot is definitely a step up! :yes: :beer:
The pot is definitely a step up, thankyou Tracy!
It´s got some room to spread it´s feet now and after the repot it powered on like normal so it must of refreshed it up a bit.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I agree with the other comments, this is a good start. It has good bones to develop a good smallish bonsai with aged looking bark. I think the bark is a big plus.
I also like Callistemon as bonsai and have found that they generally bud back on old wood as long as they are healthy and growing strongly. As such a good all round trim would improve it I think. I would also be careful with the small lowest shoot as there is a little bit of inverse taper and that shoot could exacerbate that. A long life ahead for both of you I hope.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

In that photo of the lower trunk, I find the bark mesmerising - quite beautiful. It’s almost like deadwood on the left - yet it is a lovely developing branch in its own right. Cool. And Tracy’s banging pots over to Spain now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Watto wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 6:58 am I agree with the other comments, this is a good start. It has good bones to develop a good smallish bonsai with aged looking bark. I think the bark is a big plus.
I also like Callistemon as bonsai and have found that they generally bud back on old wood as long as they are healthy and growing strongly. As such a good all round trim would improve it I think. I would also be careful with the small lowest shoot as there is a little bit of inverse taper and that shoot could exacerbate that. A long life ahead for both of you I hope.
Cheers Watto!
I agree a trim will tidy it up more. I gave it a light trim after flowering earlier and will do again after next flush, last time provided extra budding so another round should help tighten it up a little. Also agreed about that low shoot, it's going to flower soon so I'll enjoy the bloom and remove it totally afterwards. If it was lower I'd be tempted to keep it for a while, I think cleaning up the deadwood area may help with the inverse taper a little but it is what it is.
MJL wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 7:13 am In that photo of the lower trunk, I find the bark mesmerising - quite beautiful. It’s almost like deadwood on the left - yet it is a lovely developing branch in its own right. Cool. And Tracy’s banging pots over to Spain now too. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mark.
Like I said I'm not totally sure why they obviously carved and scorched it the way they did or if it was done with much vision but I do like the effect it brings. I little bit of tidying up could go a long way I think.
And the pot I think compliments it nicely, kind of goes well with the burnt part of the trunk.

Return to “Callistemon”