jonathon_p
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 2

Callistemon prune and styling advice

Post by jonathon_p »

Hi All,

Hope you are having a great day. I recently repotted and trimmed a callistemon I picked up from Jilliby a little while ago. I really like the tree and it looked great flowering this year, with the weeping branches.

I am a bit stuck as to whether I should reduce it significantly, or let it grow out. I like the trunk a lot, but everything is pretty straight and I feel like I could probably make it a bit more interesting by removing material closer to where the trunk forks.

The weeping effect looks great but I would really love to hear if you have any opinions on whether a significant reduction would a) be safe considering I just repotted it and had to remove a significant amount of the root ball (~70%), and b) whether you think it would help with development. It's been a bit cooler the last few weeks, so I am mindful not to go completely crazy with it.
20211117_091707.jpg
Front - or back, haven't decided yet
20211117_091745.jpg
Back - I think this is a better front though
20211117_091728.jpg
Left side
20211117_091805.jpg
Base of the tree
20211117_091943.jpg
Base of the tree - thickness
20211117_091846.jpg
Branching

I wonder whether it's a good idea to remove everything above where the left and right fork - seen above.
Of course I could just let it grow out again too. As always appreciate any feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Callistemon prune and styling advice

Post by Promethius »

That's a great trunk!
I agree with your thoughts. I would have thought that cutting back now would be suitable, given that it's after flowering and would match the root reduction. I'm sure wiser heads will chime in!
:2c:
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I regularly prune Callistemon at transplant so it should be safe to do so.
I note that some new shoots are very droopy, Callistemon seem to like plenty of water after significant root pruning, many of us even keep new repotted trees in a tray of water for a few weeks until the start to grow.

As for pruning you really need some sort of plan to help direct pruning. your reference to left or right fork is a bit ambiguous as there are a number of forks in that trunk.

I'd be cutting quite low to get rid of all straight sections with little taper but that's just my preference. You have a great base with some nice bends that then turns into long, straight sections. Chopping hard will mean more years regrowing the trunk and new branches and that does not always suit new growers. You will need to make the decision about what shape looks good and how to achieve what you like.

You can probably already see that callistemon will bud and grow on bare trunk when they are pruned. Most new shoots will form just below the chop point so make sure you cut low enough if you decide to do so.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

My experience has been similar to what was mentioned, keep in a tray of water and the tree just takes off.
IMG_20211122_193314.jpg
I would cut hard too to make a short tree, with such lovely bark. In the pic attached I suggest you cut the branch which is in the inner curve at a minimum.
Also would change the angle at which it is planted if you proceed to chop the tree hard.
Only my suggestions depends what you are after for your tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathon_p
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jonathon_p »

Thank you both, Shibui and Akhi. I think I will cut back quite hard, to what Akhi suggested. I have the tree in a tray of water and some sphagnum moss in there to keep it moist. Hopefully it takes off and I can post again in the future with an update.
jonathon_p
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jonathon_p »

I ended up cutting back to here:
20211122_203829_Cropped.jpg
20211122_203809_Cropped.jpg
So not quite so hard, but I'm scared I'll kill it :)
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

There is a lot of advice on AusBonsai about Callistemon. In March 2021, I posted a summary of this advice. Here is a link to that post: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=29478.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

jonathon_p wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 8:18 pm So not quite so hard, but I'm scared I'll kill it :)
It'll be fine, as others have said they bud back like crazy. I dug one out a while back and ended up with almost no roots - it shed all its leaves, sulked for six months and then exploded with new growth and has a pot full of roots.

Personally I'd cut it a bit harder on the straight section of the main trunk, but you'll likely get new buds emerging on that branch so you can wait and cut back to one of those.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

So not quite so hard, but I'm scared I'll kill it
That's already a brave chop. Well done for having a go.
You always need to be comfortable with whatever you do to your trees. Leaving a bit more to be on the safe side and waiting to check the response turns out as others have predicted is good practice.
If all goes well and you recognize the need to cut further that can be done next year or the one after.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Callistemon”