legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Bonsai Reshaped Bottlebrush - Peppa

Post by legoman_iac »

Hey all,

I was massively inspired to start on Natives after the demonstrations at the Bonsai Reshaped event. Then luckily managed to grab my first native at the silent auction, which worked out well as I was able to work on it in the workshop with Tony Ebb the next day.

The household bonsai naming committee settled on "Peppa" (or Pepper, need to confirm spelling).

Only just manged to find time to repot it over the weekend into this awesome pot I also bought from Luke Parsons at the markets afterwards. Great selection of pots! How good are Aussie Bonsai pots!!!

It was a little more pot bound than I expected, haha.

The design/plan is to go for a "fallen river side/wind swept" kind of vibe. I was going to trim back a lot of the exposed roots but think it's more natural to have them exposed. As if the tree has been tumbled a little over time?

Feedback always welcomed.

- Daniel
peppa_repot_comp_lowres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Bonsai Reshaped Bottlebrush - Peppa

Post by legoman_iac »

Whoops, looking over the pics ... realised the tree has rolled back a little, it should be rotated towards the front a little. Will wait until I next repot to correct it, as am worried this repot was a little extreme ... want to let it settle and recover.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Daniel ,nice tree and nice pot. I like the exposed roots and will look great in a few years time. Just an idea in regards to design ,i would use the bottom two branches as a continuation of the trunk. Maybe a few nice tight bends to continue the work of that great bend you have already. Have fun Cheers John.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Hey John,

Thanks fo rthe comments. Yes, those branches were wired, and have some bends, though from this angle there's a too many telegraph poles in there still, haha. Will see what I can do, though might post a pic at the "intended angle" too, which should be froma slightly higher perspective.

- Daniel
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Very nice combination.
Maybe dress the soil surface with a little fine gravel to give the "river gravel" vibe?
Just a thought :D

Jan

Return to “Callistemon”