Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Callistemon “Captain Cook” help

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hey all,

Sorry to have 2 threads going at once but, I need a little advice. My local nursery finally had some Callistemon “Captain Cook” tube stock for sale so I grabbed two. I did the initial root work which surprisingly, the roots were quite good so, only a minimal amount came off. I separated the roots, kept them moist with misting them, then potted them up and placed them under full shade in a water tray.

2 days later both are dead ☹️ it was 35 yesterday so possibly that was it but, they received no direct sunlight.

I was wondering are callistemon really sensitive to root disturbance? I always thought they weren't as I’ve seen people be quite brutal with them when they dig them up and place into a pot.

Does anyone know what could've gone wrong and/or have any advice? I bought a couple more but, am hesitant to do anything yet.

Thank you!
Mickey
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Callistemon “Captain Cook” help

Post by KIRKY »

Without photo? It’s hard to say if the pot/roots in it after pruning would even be touching the water.
Tube stock is better to be just slip potted into a larger pot without messing with the roots especially if it’s 35.
Remember tube stock would more than likely have been freshly potted or cuttings that have just taken. If it was an older plant you could just have transplant shock. I have had Callistemon look dead for months only to have them come good and start growing. So don’t throw them out you might get lucky?? With the new ones you bought no root work, leave them till the weather is cooler. If you repot and there isn’t too much in the way of roots just slip pot into a slightly larger pot or put it back into the tube you got it out of. Water well leave in the shade and water daily. Unless it’s an indoor plant you want to create humidity for, Misty bonsai in my opinion is BS. Water your trees especially this time of year.
Cheers
Kirky.
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I disagree with Kirky a little on this.
I don't like to slip pot unless as a last resort. Much better to get the roots sorted out before they become tied in knots :imo: so I would do a full repot and root prune at the first opportunity.
35C is not too much for most natives. I've root pruned some natives just before a week of + 40C days and they did not miss a beat but one of the first callistemon I bare rooted in summer died quickly and I assumed it was timing. I have since done exactly the same with no problem so maybe it is just bad luck then and this time.
Callistemon viminalis (pretty sure that 'Captain Cook' is a selection of viminalis) is usually very resilient. Definitely not really sensitive to root disturbance.

Have to agree with Kirky that 2 days is very quick to declare death. Maybe just defoliated? Trees are very good at regulating water resources and will often drop leaves when they get thirsty so maybe the root reduction has limited the ability to take on water and the trees have responded by dropping leaves to compensate. I would also hold on and continue care for a month or more to see if these come back.

Without more background it is hard to even guess what has happened.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated. Sorry for no pictures, I’ve attached a couple of snaps. One looks like its bounced back a little now that its cooled off in the evening.

I know very little about Callistemon so I had no idea they can drop leaves and bounce back. I’ve got to stop thinking if a native has dropped leaves its dead 😬

I myself do like to sort the roots asap. Ive had too many trees get so entangled and have such a hard time if i just slip pot. Some tube-stock is just so root bound when you purchase it.

Yep, Captain Cook is definitely Callistemon viminalis. It’s unknown territory for me.

Oh do the roots need to be in the water tray? I thought they were supposed to be out of the water but, the bottom of the pot in? That could be the reason if so. Is it possible to take successful cutting as well? I kept one for the garden just in case.

Thank you both
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mickey
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: December 17th, 2023, 3:28 pm I did the initial root work which surprisingly, the roots were quite good so, only a minimal amount came off. I separated the roots, kept them moist with misting them, then potted them up and placed them under full shade in a water tray.
Neil the above statement makes me think the tube stock was not overgrown. I have purchased tube stock that has been freshly potted and others where there is only minimal basic roots. Messing with little bits of roots in tube stock is never a good idea. But once you pull the plant out of tube stock you’re committed. Hence my suggestion to slip pot and not mess with the limited amount of roots.
Not being there or seeing pictures it’s impossible to know. Can only offer suggestions from personal experience of poorly grown tube stock available way too soon at some nurseries for a quick sale.

I also agree roots should be sorted sooner rather than later but never to the detriment of the plant.
Minimal roots don’t need sorting imo, they need more time to develop. No first prize in hurrying plants before they are ready.

Cheers
Kirky.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Heya Kirky, thanks for replying. I think youre right, im still learning. Upon inspection the plant had about 4 larger roots straight down. I didn't really know until i had removed more soil. I had spread them out a bit as to a few were tangled and had this fear they would hit the bottom of the new pot quickly and start their journey of circling the pot. Definitely freshly potted as quite a bit of soil came away when it took it out of the tube

That said, I’m very inexperienced 😬 should the actual roots be touching the water in the water tray? I’ll make any adjustments today once its light out.

Thanks mate 👍🏼
Mickey
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

If it were mine I would have it sitting in water until I see it recovering. I use an organic mix. Everyone here would be cringing, but I do what works for me. So I would sit it in water.
If your mix is inorganic it’s not going to be drawing water so it’s not wet and drys really quickly. Result your 4 little roots are basically sitting in air. If it’s an organic mix then it might?? be wet enough and possibly drawing water up to the roots.
If you’re watering everyday possibly two or three times a day pending on the temp, then it doesn’t need to sit in water.
As you can see lots of depending on your situation.
Cheers
Kirky
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

KIRKY wrote: December 18th, 2023, 8:40 am If it were mine I would have it sitting in water until I see it recovering. I use an organic mix. Everyone here would be cringing, but I do what works for me. So I would sit it in water.
If your mix is inorganic it’s not going to be drawing water so it’s not wet and drys really quickly. Result your 4 little roots are basically sitting in air. If it’s an organic mix then it might?? be wet enough and possibly drawing water up to the roots.
If you’re watering everyday possibly two or three times a day pending on the temp, then it doesn’t need to sit in water.
As you can see lots of depending on your situation.
Cheers
Kirky
Thanks Kirky,

It’s in an organic mix that’s well draining. It’s constantly moist too. I’m misting the leaves throughout the day also. I might try sinking one into deeper water and see how that goes. Cheers mate! 👍🏼
Mickey

Return to “Callistemon”