Bottle Brush
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Bailey's Callistemon

Post by Bretts »

Found a pot at Leigh's that I think is an OK match for this tree. Last one I think was a bit small and maybe this one is a little big? I bare rooted the tree for the first time last September and although I thought it was not growing as strong as it could as it did not back bud as much as it had in the past. It seemed to have filled the pot again.
Sure had :clap:
bottle.jpg
bottle2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

The pot is an interesting one. Leigh said it came from a collection of trees back in the 60's but doesn't know any more than that. It has an ink stamp saying Clay Express Australia with a phone number 02 7265220 It also has a clay stamp on the side with the initials BEF. (you may see this in the pic, I would not usually put this to the front and not so sure why I did :?: )
Hopefully Leigh is not too upset if we find where it comes from as he was very generous in selling it to me ;)
It is an unusual shape in it is a more pointed oval than usual. I think it could suit the tree very well but I am not sure I got the angle or placement just right :palm:
Last edited by Bretts on August 8th, 2011, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice tree Brett, but you could have wiped shelbys' face before you too the photo. :lol: Looks like she was laying mud pies and ate some :lol:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

She did more than make mud pies :whistle: She scrubbed the pot for the big elm and helped me hose it's roots. She also helped me put the soil in it's pot but made me feel a little mean as she wanted to know why I did not call her to see it get put in the pot :o

I actually wasn't going to show that pic or any others of it potted as I knew I didn't have a decent one but in the end I didn't want to disappoint by leaving ya's hanging and thought that was the most decent pic. ;)
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Checked Pups thread on Bottle Brush pruning and see it is time to give them a hard cut back. I found this a little temperamental with directing the growth where I want last season. I have increased the fertiliser to about 1 and a half the normal dose weekly with some seasol and other tonics on a regular basis. I just clipped 99% of the new growth back to just a few leaves. Then I wired a few branches to make sure they where all getting lots of sun. Now I will just tip pinch through the growing season as Pup Suggests and see what happens.
bottlebrush 001.jpg
bottlebrush 006.jpg
bottlebrush 008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mickaus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by mickaus »

Looking really nice.

I wish mine looked this good, I did some work to it at the wrong time of year and it has just been sulking ever since, but that will teach me to do without thinking or for that matter reading/researching :palm:
Last edited by mickaus on November 4th, 2011, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

:wave: Hi Brett, Bailey's tree is looking great, keep up the good work, :tu:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Glad you like :)
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Looking good Brett! I thought you would have trimmed it back further. Any reason why?

For anyone growing Callistemon, Pup's post on pruning is really worth a read - Bottle Brush Pruning

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Pup agrees o should have taken it back further. I just took all new growth back to a few leaves. Might not do what i want but going to leave for now and try and be diligent with tip pruning then see what happens.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Bretts wrote:Pup agrees o should have taken it back further. I just took all new growth back to a few leaves. Might not do what i want but going to leave for now and try and be diligent with tip pruning then see what happens.
G,day Brett, are you wanting flowers? if you are do not tip prune just let it grow. When do they flower in your area? Prune to shape 6 months before they flower.

Then tip prune as it looses its shape, remember Callistemon flower on NEW wood.

Now is a good time to start feeding with a good flowering fertiliser such as Yates fruit and flower.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I mentioned earlier in the thread that i have never had flowers on this one. I sugested it may be too young comming from a forestry seedling. You did not agree. I was keen to follow your prunning tech to see if i got flowers. Seems I will now be deviating again so my main concern now will be seeing what i can learn and develope the tree.
The best result i can hope for now is strengthening inner buds.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Well in no time at all 6 weeks I think, it needed another trim. Today I trimmed back 90% of all tips to varying degrees depending on strength and gave it a good wire. There is plenty of light getting into the tree so future development should be good.

Last year I had what I thought was a perfect plan for the crown with 4 perfectly positioned branches. It did not back bud in this area as well as I hoped. Today I took three of those branches back to bare wood hoping that they will now back bud better. I have a couple of other options if they die back but here's hoping :fc:
Dam apexes have been frustrating me for years. They should be the easy bit :lost: :palm:
001.jpg
004.jpg
018.jpg
Last edited by Bretts on December 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Whoa, that is starting to trunk up well. Another few years of preening and pruning it will look the goods.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Brett,

I love trees with a sotry & this one is extra special. Did you ever find out about the potter? I have one packed away with similar markings & have never been able to find any info on it.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Callistemon”