NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Re: Bailey's Callistemon

Post by NBPCA »

Bretts wrote:The pot is an interesting one. Leigh said it came from a collection of trees back in the 60's but doesn't know any more than that. It has an ink stamp saying Clay Express Australia with a phone number 02 7265220 It also has a clay stamp on the side with the initials BEF. (you may see this in the pic, I would not usually put this to the front and not so sure why I did :?: )
Hopefully Leigh is not too upset if we find where it comes from as he was very generous in selling it to me ;)
It is an unusual shape in it is a more pointed oval than usual. I think it could suit the tree very well but I am not sure I got the angle or placement just right :palm:
Hi Brett,

Clay Express was Bruce Finlay. He started in Sydney then moved to Bungendore (close to Canberra) and took over an old Bakery I believe. Long since moved on however.

Grant
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Grant,
I caught onto this in another thread about Pot ID
Here
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9783&p=104343
Linked this there but not visa versa :palm:

I would love to know more about the guy he seems to have made some very nice Pots :cool:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

So much work to do at the moment. I thought I would start with this one to get me in the mood.
bot.jpg
bot2.jpg
I have started to thin it out by removing some of the secondary branches. Got a 2 out of three of the top branches to back bud so hopefully this prune gives them a little more push. Needs another wire now but that can wait a little.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
FatMingsBonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: The internet / Ausbonsai

Post by FatMingsBonsai »

looks the goods mate, well done.. :tu:

thanks for the updates :clap:
If it looks good,..GROW IT !!!!!

BIG Bonsai are Beautiful !
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Glad ya like it FatM, Still a way to go yet :fc:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Only one year on and this pot is so choka full of roots I really have to repot it again. I thought I would try a different pot this time. Another Erin pottery pot that I think is VERY nice.

The roots are very healthy.
bonsai bottle brush 001.jpg
bonsai bottle brush 002.jpg

New pot looks good, I think I got the angle just right this time :fc:
bonsai bottle brush 003.jpg
Pup tells me I don't trim back hard enough on this species. Also Ric gave what I thought was an excellent critique of the tree at Bonsai by the harbour. He suggested (even though the tree is apical dominant) that if I was to trim the lower branches harder then that would give the apex more energy to sought itself out. He also suggested that the lowest right branch should be brought down even lower. I like that idea but I will wait until the tree recovers before I give it a good wire.
I think I should have taken even more off but I am hesitant with this species with the occasional branch die back after cutting.
bonsai bottle brush 007.jpg
Edit, Dam another 5mm to the left would have been sweet, might adjust tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on September 4th, 2012, 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Callistemon”