Pat
Tintop
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: My first attemp at native

Post by Tintop »

Hi again guys

Well a little over a month since i hacked back my captain coon and this is its progress in regrowth a lot more and a lot quicker than i ever expected :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

hi mate :D

If this were mine now you have brought it down, I would get those new shoots wired as soon as they have hardened off some, most natives will become a little hard to wire once it has hardened off to much.

I think your heading in the right direction too, I would look at that right hand branch, it is heavy and dead straight, If you can wait for it to bud where you need it, let it get some strength, then cut back to it and wire it to suit the lines, this will help not only with taper but I beleive will make a better tree. :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Loretta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Loretta »

Tintop wrote:Ok took the advice from all had a few drinks played with my staffy then attacked my tree.... cutters, wire and tears :lol:
ok Pup lets have it :lol:
Cheers
Pat
G'day Pat,
Long time no hear :D :D I just want to say I understand how you must have felt cutting your tree after nursing it along for so long. I guess you have to be callous to achieve the end result and the sooner you do it the less time is wasted and the tree gains that time into new growth and shape. (easy to say :lol: :lol: ) Anyway, good on you for taking the bold step and from now on you'll probably find it easier to do it with future trees as you become more practical.
cheers Loretta
Tintop
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tintop »

Hey Jamie were would you recomend i look at cutting that right hand branch?? and thanks for the encouragement :D

Hi Loretta hows things
when we goin diggin?

cheers

Pat
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day Pat again a good start, but I would not cut the lower branch at this stage. You need it to thicken up the trunk. With Callistemon I have never had a problem wiring old wood.

The wiring should be done now though. So you get the shape you want, just let that branch go, it will thicken the trunk and you will get more taper.

I do mean go maybe 1.8 metres :!: :!: when you have got the trunk thickness, at the base then shorten the branch back. I will post a pic of what I mean. Of one I am doing it with it is not a Callistemon,it is a Melaleuca, though they do have similarities. They shoot back well on old wood, so you can get ramification quickly.
P1100716.JPG
P1100717.JPG
Cheers :) Pup[
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pup on October 1st, 2010, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
rch003
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple/Ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by rch003 »

Wow, so you let one lower branch continue to grow and that kinda tricks the tree into thinking it is full sized and grows faster? Thanks for the tip Pup, you are pretty smart :D
I use the real world to distract myself from bonsai and I use bonsai to distract myself from the real world.

Return to “Callistemon”