Bottle Brush
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistermon, Acacia
Bonsai Age: 0

Callistemon Starter

Post by dannynovo »

I have been following the native section of this Forum for a few weeks, whilst recuperating from a hip replacement (allows me plenty of time for reading)....anyway i have made a purchase of a young Callistemon (Father Christmas).
My final plan for this bottlebrush is to have a windswept look....
Im after advise as to wether i trim back the trunks to the red marks in the attached pic?
Fertilise and water till i get new growth?
Keep in same pot for a yr or repot into a larger pot before/after trim?
repot with trunk at a slight angle to train toward windswept?
any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Danny
008.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Callistemon Starter

Post by dannynovo »

I also have to add that i'm in no hurry to have the tree in a bonsai pot "now"

Danny :shake:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Danny, my advice would be to plant it in the ground, if you have the space, or in a large grow pot. Do not cut any thing at this time in its life you need plenty of wood to work with.

When doing this, as you say, you want a windswept tree, plant it on an angle. This will give the tree its start as a windswept or slanting style.Then look at treating as you would if it were in a pot. Like aiming for the structure that you want, by wiring the branches to shape.

Whatever you do, do not hide it away, put it where it gets plenty of sunlight and you notice the tree. Many times I have said to novices, plant in the ground, and they put it behind the shed or garage, with the resultant lack of growth because they forgot it was there, and very little sunlight.

When this has been done then try to get as many pictures of wind swept styles to study. Remember though, windswept means all of the growth, goes one way even the foliage.

So I would suggest a windblown style, that allows for the foliage to grow as it would on any other style. This style emulates trees that are blown by strong winds for most of the day from one way then later another way.

If you follow Cricket you will understand, as at the WACCA ground we have strong wind from the East, most of the morning then in the afternoon we get the Fremantle doctor from the west.
I hope this is of some help, Bottlebrush are fast growers, if they get plenty of Water and Fertiliser.
Cheers Pup ;)
Last edited by Pup on February 14th, 2011, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Thanks Pup, I was actually hoping you would reply to my post.
Firstly, i have just built my house and the ground at the moment is heavy clay and fill, so it will be in a large grow pot.
Secondly, would now be a good time to repot?
Thirdly what angle roughly for the windblown look?
I will upload pics after the repot.
are you able to shed light on how this callistermon was named Father Christmas or is it just a hybrid name?

Danny
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

:gday: Danny, the angle is left to you really, but if you go too far it then becomes a semi cascade. I have one that is a slanting tree I will post tomorrow if you wish.

Your question on Father Christmas cultivar!. This is a quote from my book By John.W Wrigley and Murray Fagg published by Angus and Robertson.

Quote( Callistemon pallidus `Father Christmas'

syn C,pallidus `Clearview Father Christmas'

Origin The late Bill Cane selected this clone from a natural population of C. pallidus, about 20 km north of Valencia Creek, a small township north of Sale, Vic.
It has been marketed since 1960.

Description A shrub similar in habit and foliage to C, pallidus. Flowers are bi-coloured with stamens that are off-white, grading to pink at the base. The styles are also the same shade of pink( RHS Colour Chartered 54C ). The brushes vary considerably in size from 5 to 11 cm long. They are seen mainly in spring.

Cultivation This plant makes an interesting addition to the shrub garden because of its unusual flower colour. It appears to be hardy in most soils and is frost resistant.
This cultivar has been marketed in error as C, paludosus ` Father Christmas'. ) end quote.
Cheers Pup.

dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Pup,
much appreciated if you can post pic....

Danny :cool:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Here are the pictures Danny, both miniatures were taken as cuttings,the size is as you see, they strike well from cuttings, and air layers are very easy, so you can get a decent size tree in a hurry that way. They were from the tops of the bigger trees.

Bottle brush are very apical dominant if you do not keep it under control you lose the taper we love so much in Bonsai. Both parent trees are in the slanting style, if you want windswept just a little more lean, is all you need.
P1110241.JPG
[
P1110245.JPG
P1110251.JPG
P1110248.JPG
P1110249.JPG
P1110250.JPG
P1110242.JPG
The cuttings were taken 2 to 3 years ago.
P1110252.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pup on February 15th, 2011, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Hi Pup,
I have decided to go windswept...even though I love the slant style of your callistermon's (great trees)....it so happens my parents have quiet a few mature callistermon growing in their backyard (approx 10')...would like to attempt air layering a few of them when i get more agile (sic).
as i have noticed, everybody is saying Bottlebrushes grow in any soil conditions....
would it be safe to say that i could use Azealea potting Mix as the medium during growth :tu2: , as i plan on repotting tomorrow.

Danny
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

The mix I use Danny is by volume of 2 parts of crushed gravel ( carnarvon river gravel ) 3-5 mm 2 parts Akadama fine ( you can use a GOOD quality potting mix )

1 part coco peat from the big B( soak in 4litres of water ) then drain.
If you do use Azalea mix add some crushed gravel for extra drainage. I would use as 3 parts Azalea mix to 2 parts gravel.

There are as many mixes, as there are growers, all with the best mix. I find what ever works best for you is the best mix. :yes:

Cheers Pup

dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Pup,
I went and brought Azealea Mix (DEBCO) and whilst looking for crushed gravel came across Charcoal, that acts as a soil sweetner and good for drainage. Hence i will try that mix. I am off to the local Nursery tomorrow to look for a more advanced Callistermon and will repot using the the first mix that you imparted to me. :D :tu:

On another topic, i posted sometime in January a query on my purchase of a Port Jackson Fig and wether to pot it in small Bonsai Pot.....well i did do that and i have to say the growth rate on the top is amazing.....i am now wondering do i place it in a grow pot or leave it to chance seeing it is flourishing so well.

Danny
PS.
will post pic of the PJF after tea.
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Attached pics of repotted Callistermon, angled for windswept look.
I have positioned the tree in amongst my tropical garden for optimal sunlight (till midday) and watering (automatic spray)

Mix:
4 parts Azealea Mix
2 parts Charcoal
handful Dynamic Lifter

will leave the tree for a couple of weeks to settle in to its new position.....this will allow me time to study and learn styling techniques..... :fc:
Comments welcome
Danny
001.JPG
002.JPG

Return to “Callistemon”