Bottle Brush
J-C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Callistemon - health

Post by J-C »

Ahoy,

well - at first: sorry 'bout my poor english, I'm from Germany and not a native speaker =)

I'm quite new to bonsai - so I started to read a lot before I decided to buy a Callistemon. I decided to buy this one because I'll keep it indoors an I got a lot of sun there - which most plants don't like ;)
Two weeks ago, the callistemon arrived and it looked fine - except the roots sticked out of the bottom of the bowl (you'll see it in one of the attached pictures)

Well - as i knew from reading, the callistemon need good watering and must'nt get dry. So I checked the moisture twice a day and wtered it by spraying the leaves and waterign the soil. Last monday i putted the bonsai into a waterbath - with bonsai-fertilizer. The soil was moist 'bout till wednesday.

The fact is - the callistemon started to loose leaves - the got yellow and dry and just fell off. And I'm not talking about 3 or 5 ... it's bout 20-30 a day... And even the new sprouts got brown tips.

So - well - does anyone what I can do?
Too much watering? to Less watering? Not enough light?(Cn't change that :/ )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Re: Callistemon - health

Post by nealweb »

Welcome to ausbonsai. I no expert on callistamon but with any bonsai if the roots are clogging up the drainage holes they need clearing. I would be gently trying to ease it out of its pot and clearing those roots away to ensure good drainage as a first step and then hoping some of the native experts chime in :D
Good luck :fc:
neal
J-C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by J-C »

Hi Neal,

thanks for the advice - that's what i was thinking .. but i'm a bit afraid of that because here in Germany it's going to be winter - the cold season. And most Bonsai-guides tell me NOT TO DO ANYTHING before spring :/ ... but I'm afraid that it could die till then
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day J-C when books or sites tell you that callistemon need plenty of water, they are referring to Australian Conditions mostly HOT and dry. Some of the other States have hot humid conditions.
When you are keeping them indoors they will not need as much water. Like all plants that are grown indoors it is a foreign environment.
So you have to make allowences looking at your tree it is in need of a repot. You say you going into your cold winter.
The tree will still be indoors right. So you can re pot it just do not water too much. The soil needs to be moist, but NOT WET.
That saucer you have underneath should have pebbles on top, so the pot is not sitting water.
The tree is pot bound that is why you are loosing leaves, I had this happen to one of mine this year had to re-pot in winter, with no problems. Our winter would be like your summer 23-25 Celsius.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
J-C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by J-C »

Thanks a lot.

so --- i don't know. I've read that i have to keep it quite cool (5-10°C but with lots of light) in winter ... so - if i repot the calli - should i still keep it in cool & dry conditions? or should i keep it (for this year) im warmer (20-25°C) conditions?

I'm so confused at the moment :( sorry
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Hi J-C,

Pup knows a lot about Callistemon. You are in good hands with his advice.

I was just wondering if you could tell me about the last photograph you took. Is it an HDR with high contrast? How did you take the photograph and edit it? It is really nice.

Thanks,
Joel
J-C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by J-C »

Hi Joel,

okay - so i'll order another Pot an repot my calli *sigh*

refering to your question - no that's no "real" HDR - It's just two different RAW-exposures of the same image matched into ONE - and the I improved the microcontrast and added some colour :)

if you are interested i can provide you the .NEF & the .PSD-File =)
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

J-C you do not have to order a new pot. What you need to do is take out of this pot, prune the roots and put in back in this pot with fresh Bonsai mix.

If you go to Australian natives, and look up Callistemon there will be some threads showing how this is done.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
J-C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by J-C »

oh .. okay ^^

THANKS =) I'll do that :)
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

J-C wrote:Hi Joel,

okay - so i'll order another Pot an repot my calli *sigh*

refering to your question - no that's no "real" HDR - It's just two different RAW-exposures of the same image matched into ONE - and the I improved the microcontrast and added some colour :)

if you are interested i can provide you the .NEF & the .PSD-File =)
Very cool! I like the shot a lot. I wanted to know the technique to I could try similar shots on my own trees. Unfortunately I don't have a camera that shoots in RAW, though I could try something similar by taking to photos of different exposures. Thanks for the reply!

Joel
J-C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by J-C »

So ... I immediatly repoted my Callistemon - look what the roots looked like ... the whole pot was filled! Alomost no Soil - just roots.

And - does anyone know, what these yellow little "balls" are? they were everywhere - i guess 'bout 40-50. I cracked one open - it's filles with some white-translucent liquid. Could these be eggs of some Insect? Or some strange kind of fertilizer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J-C on September 26th, 2011, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca

Post by Craig »

Hi J-C, i think they look like the remaining shells from slow release fertiliser. Nice healthy tree mate , great work, :tu2:
Last edited by Craig on September 26th, 2011, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by J-C »

*whew* fertilizer ... =)

THANKs
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

Hi J-C

Welcome to the forum mate and to all things bonsai for Australia :aussie: . A lovely little tree you have there. Did you purchase it from a local nursery or elsewhere? I was surprised to see so much root matter in the pot and thought that the seller should not have sold it so close to requiring a root prune.

Do you have any other trees that you can upload?

As Joel said - you'll get good advice from Pup. you'll find the membrs here very helpful. Searching the forum is a great way to loose some hours but gain some inspiration and knowledge.

Cheers :wave:

Stewart

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi J-C
If you received the tree by mail that could be why it was rootbound. Some sellers don't like to ship trees any other way as there is less chance of damage to the tree during transit. Does the tree only get sunlight from through a window ? I would be a little concerned about it being cooked during your summer from the radiant heat. Is there anywhere you can keep it outside during the warmer months ? It is after all a tree which normally lives outside.

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Callistemon”