newzealandteatree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: NZteatree
Bonsai Age: 32
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Re: Blooming bottlebrush

Post by newzealandteatree »

A picture is worth more than a thousand words, so here is a close-up of the tree.
Cheers, CJ.
DSC00822.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newzealandteatree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Here's a peek at some of the other dozen I am working at.
Cheers, CJ.
DSC00828.JPG
DSC00830.JPG
DSC00831.JPG
DSC00832.JPG
DSC00833.JPG
DSC00834.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Great trees CJ.

Have you got a couple more pics of this one?
Bottlebrush CJ.jpg
newzealandteatree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Scott, thanks for the compliments. Here is a better shot made specially for u. Visited your blog. Interesting. How's the tree coming along ?
Cheers, CJ.
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/cj/
DSC00835.JPG
Last edited by newzealandteatree on October 18th, 2011, 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

Wow that is a stunning tree. Just a thought, would it look even better without the first right hand branch coming out from the lower trunk (tachiagari? is that the word) it kinda breaks the clean flowing line of that beautiful lower trunk for me and diverts the eye. Amazing tree though :tu:

neal.
newzealandteatree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Neal, thanks. I did considered what u suggested but after trying it out with cloth, just don't work. Nothing wrong with having that branch. I have seen very nice bonsai in Japan with branches like that. Like they said guidelines are just that. Important to keep in mind but what is more important is the overall composition. While Bill Valvanis, the Classical bonsai expert was with us, he showed a picture of a branch crossing the trunk and explain that it was kept to fill the space until an alternate branch grows thicker. This is what I term the lesser of two evils. Should an alternate branch grows up nicely and in a position to take over this branch, and improve the overall composition, I will have no problem taking it out. As it is I like the natural feel of the tree. More towards the Taiwanese approach.
Cheers, CJ.
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

Post by Handy Mick »

Very nice cj, I like the "naturalistic style" you have there throughout your collection.
Having a natural looking tree is more refreshing in my opinion as you can really start to believe.
It is also harder to achieve than a traditional Japanese style.

Mick
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

newzealandteatree wrote:Neal, thanks. I did considered what u suggested but after trying it out with cloth, just don't work. Nothing wrong with having that branch. I have seen very nice bonsai in Japan with branches like that. Like they said guidelines are just that. Important to keep in mind but what is more important is the overall composition. While Bill Valvanis, the Classical bonsai expert was with us, he showed a picture of a branch crossing the trunk and explain that it was kept to fill the space until an alternate branch grows thicker. This is what I term the lesser of two evils. Should an alternate branch grows up nicely and in a position to take over this branch, and improve the overall composition, I will have no problem taking it out. As it is I like the natural feel of the tree. More towards the Taiwanese approach.
Cheers, CJ.
Absolutely fair enough, and well explained. Thanks CJ I will remember those points. Its always hard to judge a tree from a photo, without actually seeing it in 3d real life. Keep up the good work, you have some very beautiful trees :)
newzealandteatree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Mick, thanks. In the old days I was very steep in the Japanese approach to bonsai. It was after I saw those fantastically beautiful and natural looking trees the Taiwanese created that I realised there are more ways to creat beautiful trees. I then began to realise that the overall composition and feeling it evokes is more important than the strict adherance to the "rules" as it was made out to me at that time. So I guess it is a matter of exposure and part of the learning curve. Our perceptions of beauty keep on changing all the time. Having said that, I still think the Japanese guidelines are very useful especially to the beginners. It helps them to get on with the game much faster.

Neal, thanks. Were u at the Bill's demonstration ? I did see a number of them from the Bonsai Workshop. Many years ago I was a member as well until the time factor prevented me from attending to two clubs.

Cheers. CJ.

Return to “Callistemon”