Yamadori Casuarina (Large Trunk) + Questions

She-Oak, Australian Pine
dean270679
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0

Yamadori Casuarina (Large Trunk) + Questions

Post by dean270679 »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Ausbonsai. I have been reading a lot of information on these forums about casuarinas and decided to post some pics of one I collected recently. I have collected plenty of figs and other species but this is the first casuarina.

I collected it on the 24th of December 2011. From what I have read here that is probably the wrong time but this tree seemed to not be worried about it at all.

It was growing on the edge of a tidal riverbank, at the threshold where the casuarinas stop growing and the mangroves start. At some point a car had been dumped on or driven into this thing, as the rusted remains of the vehicle where clearly still visible all around the gnarled stump.

All lateral buttress roots were severed to remove it and I was a bit worried it would not survive, being that there were no feeder roots left. 2 and a bit months on and it has started to reshoot quite a lot and is looking healthier by the day. It was kep very wet for the first few weeks, being watered heavily 2-3 times a day. The mix it is growing in is about 40% coarse sand, 40% compost, 10% red clay soil and 10% coir.

The branch cutters should give a sense of scale.

Here are some questions I have about these trees:

1. I'd like to keep the lower branches from dying off and develop them much thicker but the tree is growing heavily towards it's apex. What is the best way to distribute vigor throughout the tree?
2. Have others had success regrowing entire root systems from scratch? Is this something that is considered normal with casuarinas?
3. I have noticed that a wound I accidentally made (see photo) with an axe while digging it out has a mass of new shoots coming from it. Is this something I could do in a controlled manner to promote new branches in specific areas?
4. What specific species of casuarina is this? I think it's a cunninghamiana but really can't be sure.

Strange growth!

Regrowth from wound.

This is probably going to be the front.

Thanks!
Steve Warren
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: NATIVES-MELS
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Yamadori Casuarina (Large Trunk) + Questions

Post by Steve Warren »

Welcome to Ausbonsai Dean,

That is a very nice find you have there. Unfortunately I am no expert on Casaurinas so I leave most of the advise to those better versed than myself. Looks like it has survived the dig. I have a couple of small casaurinas and I find tip pruning the areas I want ot slow down does encourage the others to grow faster, or once you are confident that the lower growth has take, remove the upper growth if you do not want long term. Good luck with it mate. I would love to see how this gnarly old stump looks in a year or two.

regards

Steve W
If it were not for my trees, maybe I could see the forest.
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Hi Dean,

It is a very interesting trunk that has a great appearance of age and it will be well worth waiting for and growing properly. I would suggest allowing all shoots to grow freely for some time, perhaps for more than a year without moving it or rushing in to styling or hard pruning. This is to make sure that it grows a new root system. You could train the branches to spread a bit as they start to thicken and harden off, but I would not worry so much about balancing vigour until it the whole plant is strong. Most plants back bud much better when pruned after a period of strong growth.

Good luck!

Ash
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice tree and Welcome to A.B.
Need not worry about balancing growth as just need to let it go mad for the next year. If any branches go too fast hen cut them back to control it, but I doubt an issue for a while.

Seems that many trees can be encouraged to grow shoot when the bark is damaged so looks liek a method you can use to advantage later on too :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

Someone here told me (and it has seemed to work for me) that leaving the pot in a tray of water would lead to much more shooting low down. Mine have spent up to months in the soaker tubs, doesnt bother them at all, but getting good low branches to work with later.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”