Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Tall Collected Casuarina Torulosa

Post by dansai »

G'day all.

I collected this tree over 12 months ago. I cut back to the point that is the top of the main trunk line leaving no foliage on the trunk. I thought I would get buds lower down, but alas only shot at the top. I have removed a few branches recently and when moving my nursery decided it was time to play with what was left.
Before any work.jpg
Some of the plates of bark at the bottom are over 30 mm, with on close to 50 mm deep.
Close up of base.jpg
The top before wiring.
Close up of top.jpg
And after.....
First wire close up.jpg
And the tree as it is now.
First wire.jpg
Height to top of main trunk 800 mm
Current height to top of foliage 1.1 m

I'm probably going for a more classic pine look at the moment due to the sparseness of the branches and them being at the top. So I'll create a triangle of foliage up the top. I could cut the top off and try for branches lower down to create a more natural tree, but I don't think the depth of the corking will work with a shorter tree.

Would love to hear what you all think. Am I going the right way?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dansai on June 30th, 2013, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Tall Collected Casuarina Torulosa

Post by Steve B »

Big-time stump envy here dansai :tu:

Personally (without the benefit of seeing it in real life) I'd probably try a thread graft at the top of the basal flare. Get it heading left to right to encourage a bend back the other way. All pretty boring and conservative though I'm afraid. Probably because I've got a few Cas stumps on the go but no Torulosa, so I'd personally be playing it safe to get a good example going showing off that bark and base on a stumpier tree. If you've got a few of these to pick from I could certainly see the logic in trying the taller pine look.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Thanks for your interest Steve.

I never thought of a thread graft. I wonder if they work with Casuarina.

It was growing in very shallow soil and had only a few long roots when I collected it that grew straight out from the base. I was happy that it survived.

So I think I'll stay with the top as it is at the moment and have a play to see how it develops. In the meantime I'll develop the roots and later down the track may chop it hard and develop branching lower down to, as you say, show off the chunky bark.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Has anyone tried a thread graft on a casuarina??

Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Steve B »

Some good examples on the forums dansai. Here's one to inspire you:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4596&hilit=casuarina+thread+graft
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

I have lots of casuarinas...and never realized that they are hard to buck bad...What do You think would have happened if you just did a drastic trunk chop, when the tree is strong? Will it die? Will it back bud? I have never done it...so I dont know? :lost:
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Hey Neli,

This one had no foliage when I first potted it, and virtually no roots. It's not that they are hard to get to back bud, it's just that this one, and I think others have had the same happen with C. torulosa, only shoot from the top. That's why I thought I could chop again lower to get lower shoots, but I may just get them close to the chop again and I don't want to chop to far into the aged bark.

Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

You dont think it is too tall? I would have chopped it very low. It will look more masculine...compact and older.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

And I would have lost all the aged bark. Besides I still have that option down the track. This tree will be with me for many, many years so no rush.

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”