Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Casuarina help with bad budding on deep ridged bark

Post by Josh »

Hello all.
I picked up a few of these casuarinas (ID anyone) a while ago. They were about 6-9 foot high and in 7inch pots. They had grown through the bottom of the pot, through the weed mat and had large roots going into the ground. The nursery owner didn't want the weed mat damaged so I had to cut the roots off at the pot. I bought 4 casuarinas and two Eucalyptus sideroxylon and paid $2 each for them as he thought they wouldn't grow. I cut large amounts of foliage off back to stubs. I potted three of them and the fourth never quite got around to doing anything with, it has sat in the same tub of seasol I soaked them in when I first got them ( I know, I should change the seasol :palm: )
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
This one below I cut back hard an re potted. I didn't expect it to live as there wasn't many roots at all left in the pot except for a couple of big ones that had to come off. I guess I almost turned it into a cutting :palm: It started to die back but has finally started budding. The buds are all above where the really deep rough bark starts. I'm wondering will it bud back down on/in the rough bark.
1.JPG
2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Casuarina help with bad budding on deep ridged bark

Post by Josh »

Arghhhh It won't let me upload any more pics :palm: As soon as I work out why I'll post the rest of the pics and ask the question I planned to. So frustrating and yes they are resized
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Oh I hate computers :x
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
I have done searches and people say cut them back hard they will back bud. How hard can you cut them back and will they back bud on/in the really deep ridged bark.
7.JPG
I don't plan on doing anything to it just yet except letting it grow out but I want to know how hard can I cut it back and still get buds. Am I better letting it grow then remove the top leaving a couple of branches then doing the same again until I get it down.

Thanks
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Dimensions are 1 metre high and 10 cm at the base.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Hi Josh.

My Casuarina's have always been happy to back bud even from deep fissured bark when cut back.
If it were me I'd cut back to the lowest branch on each tree and see what happens.

I presume that they will back bud lower than the lowest branch and you can continue to reduce.

The only disclaimer is that my experience is based on my tree's (which are cas. Torolusa) and during warmer months.
Not sure how this procedure will go heading into winter.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if your tree's are indeed Torolusa.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Most trees will produce buds from the highest remaining part of the tree (because it wants to get tall again?) Lower buds fail to develop when you leave the tree tall.
Your trees have now wasted a lot of energy making new buds high up. You could try cutting them again but maybe safer to let them grow a bit and regain strength before cutting shorter. For future reference they should sprout from anywhere on the trunk if you cut hard.

I would be surprised if these are A. torulosa - Bark does not seem to be corky enough. Leaf arrangement is one defining feature but you will need a magnifying glass to see it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
g.raft
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by g.raft »

Hi Josh, I've got a black sheoak similar to the stock you have in trunk size/bark development and I cut it back to a bare trunk with no growth or branches about six inches above soil.......it didn't shoot buds in a time frame that I thought it might, I kept waiting.....I think it's dead I thought to myself :palm: . Continued to water but with no real expectations of a revival, but bugger me about 4 months after chop it shot a single bud up from the cut between the bark and cambrium.....amazing :tu:

So maybe the suggestion of gradually cutting down might be the best course of action :2c:
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Nice material Josh, that bark looks awesome!

Am watching the thread with interest, as I've recently got myself a Sheoak as well :aussie:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Boics wrote:Hi Josh.

My Casuarina's have always been happy to back bud even from deep fissured bark when cut back.
If it were me I'd cut back to the lowest branch on each tree and see what happens.

I presume that they will back bud lower than the lowest branch and you can continue to reduce.

The only disclaimer is that my experience is based on my tree's (which are cas. Torolusa) and during warmer months.
Not sure how this procedure will go heading into winter.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if your tree's are indeed Torolusa.
Thanks Boics, I plan on waiting til spring before I do anything to drastic. I've got other trees to keep going in the meantime. Thanks for the info.
shibui wrote:Most trees will produce buds from the highest remaining part of the tree (because it wants to get tall again?) Lower buds fail to develop when you leave the tree tall.
Your trees have now wasted a lot of energy making new buds high up. You could try cutting them again but maybe safer to let them grow a bit and regain strength before cutting shorter. For future reference they should sprout from anywhere on the trunk if you cut hard.

I would be surprised if these are A. torulosa - Bark does not seem to be corky enough. Leaf arrangement is one defining feature but you will need a magnifying glass to see it.
Thanks Shibui, They are alive so I figure it's not wasted energy (but I know what you mean). When I got these I really didn't think they would live. I cut 90% of the foliage off and 95 % of the roots off. The guy laughed at me taking them, but I figured for a couple of bucks, what the heck. I didn't know if they would back back on bare wood or needed foliage to bud so probably went a bit easy with the pruning. I am amazed they have recovered like they did. I will let them grow out a bit now and get soem vigor again then prune back harder. Thanks for the info on budding on old wood.
g.raft wrote:Hi Josh, I've got a black sheoak similar to the stock you have in trunk size/bark development and I cut it back to a bare trunk with no growth or branches about six inches above soil.......it didn't shoot buds in a time frame that I thought it might, I kept waiting.....I think it's dead I thought to myself :palm: . Continued to water but with no real expectations of a revival, but bugger me about 4 months after chop it shot a single bud up from the cut between the bark and cambrium.....amazing :tu:

So maybe the suggestion of gradually cutting down might be the best course of action :2c:

Thanks g.raft. My biggest problem with these was the fact they were severely pot bound and I cut everything off to get them out of the ground, so they weren't real healthy after doing that to them. The last in the photo had almost no real roots except a couple of biggish roots, noe feeder roots at all. If they were healthy and vigourous and not root pruning heavy and foliage pruning I'd probably be more game to cut hard. Cheers, thanks
Jason wrote:Nice material Josh, that bark looks awesome!

Am watching the thread with interest, as I've recently got myself a Sheoak as well :aussie:

Thanks Jason, The photo doesn't really show the bark properly. On the last one I can put my finger inside the bark and not be able to see it at all from the side. These make great trees and I think they have a variety of styles that work well for them. I'll keep updating on how they go.

Thanks everyone for the info. What I love about bonsai is every time you get a new variety, the lessons start all over again :tu:

Josh
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Any update on this one Josh :)
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

bonsaibuddyman wrote:Any update on this one Josh :)
I did cut these back and they are budding lower. Nothing much to show. I'm in Adelaide this week for the royal show, sorry can't take any photos but they are budding lower no problems.

Josh.

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”