Planting Casuarina Seeds

She-Oak, Australian Pine
Jordan12
Favorite Species: Angophora
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Planting Casuarina Seeds

Post by Jordan12 »

Hello!

I have a few C. glauca and C. cunninghamiana seedlings coming through (as well as some Eucalpyts) and I just got the idea that I'd like to try and grow them into bonsai. I've never really attempting growing bonsai before but I've just collected a bunch of native seeds and, even though from reading around it seems it'll be a long time before I have to do much except wait, I'd like to know where to start.

Can anyone tell me what kind of pot I should be growing the seedlings in for their early days, and beyond? Unfortunately I only have pots and no ground. And at what point in their life would I put the tree into a bonsai pot? I don't necessarily want to create a super-stylized tree but I'd like to keep them stunted yet healthy.. if that is possible.

Also, when I prick them out is that a good time to put them into pots with gravel and bonsai soil mixes etc? Is seed-raising mix good enough for now?

Thanks!

Jordan
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Hey Jordan, not such a simple answer for the second part of you post, check out the Wiki for a tonne of information:
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... =Main_Page

Also, check out the directory down the bottom of the screen and locate your nearest club, join up and start the learning.
Last edited by Jarad on March 24th, 2015, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Jordan,
A number of your questions will be answered when I get some time to take some photos. If you keep an eye on this thread you will see when I post the new information for Elmar.

Have a look at the link that Jarad posted. I'm sure you will find lots of good info there.

Regards Ray
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi folks,
I transfered the seedlings to individual pots today. The seedlings have been growing quite well.
IMG_0130 -2.jpg
IMG_0131 -2.jpg
IMG_0126 -2.jpg
The soil I use is made up of Ray Nesci's mix, Zeolite and Perlite. With the Zeolite I make sure it is very fine. You can buy it this way or sieve your own to get down to 2-3mm. In two thirds of a bucket I would mix two double handfuls of Zeolite. I would then mix this with Perlite, 50/50.
IMG_0127 -2.jpg
Tools needed
Prepare a tub of water with Seasol added.
Prepare a bucket of water with Seasol added.
A rake and dowel.
IMG_0134 -2.jpg
Using the blade on the rake to cut around a group of seedlings.
IMG_0136 -2.jpg
I then use the rake end and lift under the seedlings.
IMG_0137 -2.jpg
Place this in the tub of water. Gently tease the seedlings apart.
IMG_0139 -2.jpg
Prepare the pots with soil. When the pot is filled with soil place it in the tube to saturate the soil. The reason for doing this is so the soil will stay in place when you create a hole for the seedling to be planted. Using the dowel, make a hole large enough for the roots to go into freely.
IMG_0141 -2.jpg
Put the seedling roots down into the hole. Hold the pot with one hand and the seedling with the other hand. With the seedling at the depth you want it to be planted, still holding the seedling and pot, put the pot into the tube of water again and the the soil will collapse around the roots. I then transfer the pot to the bucket of water and hold the pot deep enough in the water without the water covering the lip of the pot. The water will seep up through the soil and you can gently tamper the soil down with your fingers to make the soil firmer around the roots.

Potted seedlings
IMG_0144 -2.jpg
IMG_0145 -2.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ray M on March 25th, 2015, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Nice!
I've had a couple of seedlings but they haven't survived my transplanting efforts.... shame!

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Beginner Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Warragul

Post by Beginner Bonsai »

Thanks for the tutorial Ray. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”