Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Casuarina chop

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all,

As part of a demo 2 years ago on Natives for a club show in NSW I cut back a Casuarina Torulosa to a stump, sealed it and explained what I expected to happen.As expected and predicted It went ballistic with back budding and and new growth on a few existing branches.

Trimming/ cutting/breaking techniques are critical with Casuarina. Use scissors only on harder wood, not on soft growth. On soft growth you should grip the foliage pad and break off where needed. This tends to avoid browning off of the tips if you where to use scissors.

Japanese but understated pot suits this tree.

In future I will allow the weeping habit of this tree to exert itself.

I love the bark on this species and they are not touchy when it comes to watering. They tolerate light dry outs that kill C cunninhamii .

Cheers,

Grant

ED440C76-915E-4B0B-AB86-21FBCB30F8E5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Casuarina chop

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm loving all these craggy barked C torulosa trees....I've only gotten smooth barked C cunninghamii to work with me and my techniques!

Look forward to seeing more Grant!
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Casuarina chop

Post by Grant Bowie »

melbrackstone wrote:I'm loving all these craggy barked C torulosa trees....I've only gotten smooth barked C cunninghamii to work with me and my techniques!

Look forward to seeing more Grant!

Yes the bark and trunk are great features of this species. It was Quentin’s beautiful C Torulosa that we borrowed for the NBPCA that alerted me to the possibilities of this species about 10 years ago; I was just slow getting round to working with them for myself.

They should become an iconic native bonsai material as it is very hardy and beautiful at the same time.

Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on March 1st, 2019, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”