Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Alocasuarina Littoralis Layers

Post by Jan »

I know it is a bit late for layers on Alocasuarina Littoralis but the weather is still warm and the trees are poping out new shoots/growth everywhere so it seem to be worth a go.

We have a grove of this species and, as I checked on a Eucy layer that has been in process for a while, I noticed some promising branches on the nearby Alocasuarinas. I gathered some gear and spent the afternoon putting layers on two that may have some promise. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As I saw in an earlier post of Pup's, Alocasuarinas can bridge so I have cut away a substantial ring of bark, then added hormone (purple - hardwood cuttings) and used damp spagnum moss for the roots to grow into.
20210417_140244.jpg
The wood was cleaned up, root hormone added then the layer applied as usual. This one has good shape and bark, and the tree has a good amount of new growth. The trunk had seen better days, judging by the deadwood, but current growing conditions could be the opportunity to collect this one.
20210417_140309.jpg
20210417_164614.jpg
I usually add a layer of foil to the outside of the layers thinking that the roots may develop better in the dark - don't know if it helps but it hasn't hurt so far with other layers.
20210417_164715.jpg
This branch is poping out a lot of new shoots so I'll probably add another layer further along so as not to waste the material.
20210417_165004.jpg
Now we wait with :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My avatar is a Kurrajong flower (Brachychiton populneus).
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Alocasuarina Littoralis Layers

Post by shibui »

Congrats for trying something new Jan. I know some Alocasuarinas can grow from cuttings but I have not seen much on layering. It will be great to see the results of this.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Good luck, I am also looking forward to seeing the results.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

shibui wrote: April 17th, 2021, 10:59 pm Congrats for trying something new Jan. I know some Alocasuarinas can grow from cuttings but I have not seen much on layering. It will be great to see the results of this.
Watto wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:03 am Good luck, I am also looking forward to seeing the results.
:fc: While I've seen posts of Torulosa and Cunninghamiana grown as cuttings, I've not seen much on Allocasuarina littoralis. I thought that layering might be a safer bet than cuttings this late in the season so worth a go particularly as they are all poping out new growth at the moment.

I've done quite a few successful layers over the years, most recently on wisteria (these are almost impossible to get wrong) and a small Podrocarpus Lawrenci, so I'm comfortable that the method I use works, just have to wait and see if Allocasuarina littoralis will cooperate. If it goes well I have a few more promising branches to try.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

I’ve had success on one I did a few years ago but the layered branch was only about 2cm dia. Fairly young and hadn’t barked up like the one your trying.
Hope it takes for you... good luck!
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

There are some branches with younger bark about the 2cm dia that I will eventually try but I can't resist, I think I'll have a go at this one tomorrow.
20210417_165920a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Not sure if Casuarina behaves differently to Alocasuarina but I recently layered a C. cunninhamiana at around 6 cm in diameter viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26400&start=15.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

terryb wrote: April 19th, 2021, 9:33 pm Not sure if Casuarina behaves differently to Alocasuarina but I recently layered a C. cunninhamiana at around 6 cm in diameter viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26400&start=15.
Thanks, Terryb, :fc: layering works as well on older bark.

I did brave the mosquitos again yesterday afternoon and put a layer on this broken portion of the tree in the previous post.

It had been broken off by a large branch that fell out of a nearby Brittle Gum some time ago (they live up to their name) so the wood in the remaining stump was shreaded and hanging loose from the live portion.
20210419_151500.jpg
I gave this loose timber a clean up to get a better seal on the layer to keep it moist.
20210419_154415.jpg
I then cut a strip out of the live bark on the opposite side, applied hormone liquid, packed the cut area with damp spacnum, enclosed it in plastic and further covered it with foil. By this time the mossies were throwing a party, had invited the whole district and were intent on making me their main course. I was somewhat distracted and neglected to get a shot ot the stump showing the cut in the bark.

I thought that as a comperison I'd try a layer on younger wood and see if there was any diffenence in the success rate. I'd spotted some vigerous new growth on another tree and set off (with my entourage of mossies) to apply the final layer for the day.
20210419_170414.jpg
I had intended to just layer the younger growth but when I looked at this branch again I could see the potential offered by taking it off a little ways down from the new growth to incorporate an interesting bend.
20210419_171224.jpg
This was a smaller branch and, while not the newest growth, did not have the old crusty bark of the stump I had just layered. A couple of quick cuts with the pruning saw and work with a knife saw the bark came off cleanly then hormone liquid was applied. By this time I'd lost count of the number of mossies I'd dispached but I was seriously outnumbered and loosing the battle. Damp spagnum was applied, along with a plastic cover and a final coating of foil. Now we wait :fc:

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”