KevDog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Potting Wild Aussie Pine

Post by KevDog »

Hi Guys!

New to the community and bonsai, hope I can learn a lot from everyone and make some contributions from myself as well in the future.

I am current looking at some aussie pine (i think? Photos attached. Is it a casuarina?) seedlings that are going to be ripped up anyway (construction work). So I’d like to try save and pot them into bonsai in the future. Any suggestions as to what soil mix, technique I should take? Is this the right season to try (although I don’t have a choice regarding time)

Thanks a lot guys!
Kelvin
IMG_8354.JPG
IMG_8353.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Potting Wild Aussie Pine

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi KevDog,
Welcome to the forum!
That is a casuarina seedling, exactly which one I don’t know… Littoralis, Cunninghamiana, Torulosa, there are a few around.
In terms of collection time, you’ve answered your own question… if it’s getting ripped up then the best time is now! I wouldn’t be too concerned here in Melbourne collecting something like those now in any event, but no idea where you are (good to put a location in your profile to get specific advice)
These are just seedlings so I don’t think there’s too much to worry about. Get lots of roots when you dig up and all should be fine. Casuarina grow pretty quick so in a year or so provided you look after them they should be developing nicely.
Enjoy!
:beer:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Certainly looks like a (allo)casuarina. There appears to be plenty of weeds mixed in too - Tree of Heaven and privet are just 2 I can ID in the photo.

Some Casuarinas sucker profusely from surface roots forming clumps of trunks. It is far more likely these are suckers growing from the roots of the larger trees so you may dig down and find no small roots, just the small plant growing direct from a thick root close to the surface.
Even so they may transplant given enough care. Just chop the smaller trunks off right at the larger root and treat them as cuttings for a few weeks.

Timing and techniques definitely vary depending on location as Australia is a vast country with lots of different climate zones and more localized patterns even within states so a location in your profile will mean much better advice based on your actual location.

Everyone has their own ideas of what is the best time of year to transplant Aussie natives. My experience is that many will transplant well right trough summer while they are actively growing so now is as good a time as any to try.
Everyone also has their own favorite soil mix but anything open and well drained seems to be OK as it allows us to water a lot without the risk of waterlogging. Steer clear of cheaper general potting mixes as most stay far too wet for most bonsai work. Coarse sand is OK transplants but will need to be changed out for better potting mix when the trees have re-established. Mix designed for bonsai or even for succulents seems to work OK for many people and I have used higher quality commercial potting mix successfully at times.
Some growers sit recent transplants in a tray of water for a few weeks to maintain really good moisture levels while the trees get new roots started.
At this time of year semi shade would probably be advisable until the roots recover enough to provide water for the plants.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevDog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KevDog »

Thanks Ryceman & Shibui for the warm welcome and advice! I've updated my profile (I'm located in Western Sydney). I will have a dig at it over the next few days and post my findings.
shibui wrote: January 13th, 2022, 3:10 pm Coarse sand is OK transplants but will need to be changed out for better potting mix when the trees have re-established. Mix designed for bonsai or even for succulents seems to work OK for many people and I have used higher quality commercial potting mix successfully at times.
Shibui, so the simplified takeaway would be well drained soil mix (doesn't have to be fancy akadama, pumice etc.) with ample watering to keep the roots wet but not waterlogged.

I'll keep this thread updated hopefully!
Thanks again! :beer:
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I agree with Shibui about them possibly being root suckers. If you dig down and find them attached to a root you can cut either side of the plants and lift them all together. If not, then treat them as seperate seedlings and pot them up separately. A good quality potting mix should be ok. Some have water saving crystals that I personally would avoid. You will want them in a normal nursery pot at this stage for them to develop. Don't go too big. Its far better to gradually go up in size than pot into a large pot to begin with.

Fancy mixes like akadama and pumice have great qualities and definitely have their place. More established and older trees require mixes that have longevity and encourage fine roots and give more control over growth up top that helps refine a tree. Young trees will need regular repotting and rootwork to help them develop trunk and branches and so a regular potting mix works well and generally cheaper. I have access to a locally made potting mix, made in batches to suit various needs off different growers. It is bark based, as are most retail mixes, with lots of grit to keep stability and drainage. I've never used cats mix, but I've heard it has similar qualities and I think that's why shibui mentioned it. "Premium" potting mixes bought at retail stores, have to meet a standard and should include adequate drainage and some nutrition. However, as I said before, some have water saving crystals in therm and personally I would steer well clear.

And a little side note which you may already be aware, Casuarina/Allocasurina are not pines, or even closely related. If fact they are more closely related to Eucalyptus, although still a long way off. The "needles" are actually young branches. If you look closer at one, feel ok to pull one off, you will see little rings around them. If you pull on them, they will break at that point. Around that little ring will be a number of very tiny little leaves. The number, size, shape, etc., differs with species.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
KevDog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KevDog »

Thanks Everyone for your tips!

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get access to try dig it up and investigate whether it was a sucker or not… unfortunate but I will keep looking!

Thanks again!

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”