fae
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: BLACK SHEOAK

Post by fae »

Thanks for the update, a very nice tree.

Have just skimmed through the post and have been amazed at the development in the past 4 years. Appears to me that the best approach is to get a young one and put a bit of shape into it hen you can,then grow on.

Do you fertilize and with what.

Lovely tree.

Fiona :clap:
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Booga »

That has come along nicely Ant :tu: the new leader has thickened up and is looking good, I like the movement in the trunk and the lower branch placement.
If you dont mind Here is a She Oak that I dug about three weeks ago.
I have been exposing it to the sun very gradually and it hasn't suffered any die-back yet so :fc:
When I first potted it up too lessen the stress I cut the leaders off and removed the branches that were growing between the two trunks and I also cut the tips off each branch hoping for back budding, But I really havnt got a clue on what to do :palm:.
I thought that I would leave it as is regarding the branching and just grow new leaders :lost:
Any advice from you Ant and other members will be greatly appreciated.

The main trunk is 400mm to the chop top, should I further reduce it :lost:

Cheers Dave
sheoak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

fae wrote:Thanks for the update, a very nice tree.Have just skimmed through the post and have been amazed at the development in the past 4 years. Appears to me that the best approach is to get a young one and put a bit of shape into it hen you can,then grow on. Do you fertilize and with what. Lovely tree. Fiona :clap:
Hi Fiona, thanks for the king words. Yes as all things teach them when young and tender and then letm grow. Fert i use osmocate for natives, better grow pellets, a brew of 1pt fish emulsion, 1 pt worm juice, 1 pt plant starter to 3pt seasol. 20 ml in a 9 lt can watered thoroughly once a week. :wave:
Regards Antonio:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Booga wrote:That has come along nicely Ant :tu: the new leader has thickened up and is looking good, I like the movement in the trunk and the lower branch placement.
If you dont mind Here is a She Oak that I dug about three weeks ago.
I have been exposing it to the sun very gradually and it hasn't suffered any die-back yet so :fc:
When I first potted it up too lessen the stress I cut the leaders off and removed the branches that were growing between the two trunks and I also cut the tips off each branch hoping for back budding, But I really havnt got a clue on what to do :palm:.
I thought that I would leave it as is regarding the branching and just grow new leaders :lost:
Any advice from you Ant and other members will be greatly appreciated.

The main trunk is 400mm to the chop top, should I further reduce it :lost:

Cheers Dave
sheoak.jpg

Hey dave thanks for the comments mate. I would chop where you have marked and choose or push a much lower leader in future. i would only use the 2nd trunk for sacrafice purposes to fatten the base out and let that grow un hindered at this point. Usually if these things turn their toes up you would have known by now. So keep doing what you are for now and let the tree grow a season. then lets take another look at it... :tu:
Regards Antonio:
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Booga »

Thanks ant for the advice :beer: I did not think of using what I thought was the second truck as a sacrifice branch and I recon that's a great Idea.
Thanks. I did plan on using the existing branches for the long term and let it grow for a year and work from there :lost:
I must have Nits :lol:
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”