Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: BLACK SHEOAK

Post by Jamie »

i havent had any luck with cassa's the two i have dug have carked it quick smart, i dont know why really either i have done everything right i beleive, maybe its because i bare rooted them?
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Jamie wrote:i havent had any luck with cassa's the two i have dug have carked it quick smart, i dont know why really either i have done everything right i beleive, maybe its because i bare rooted them?

Now thats really funny Jamie!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Antonio:
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Jamie,
Keep trying mate you will get there. These trees are really easy I have never killed one from rootpruning and where I live can be quite cold. You should be able to do it too easily. They are such rewarding plants. Maybe you should go out and grab a heap of tubes to practice on.
Craig
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

OK i've stopped laughing now jamie. Yes digging them out from wild could be an issue if not prepped up before hand. bare rooting a collected tree certainly does run the risk of breaking off any fine feeders that might exist close to the trunk. emphasis on the word might and this is why it is a good idea to prep a season b4. :D ;)
Regards Antonio:
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

Cas is coming along, Antonio, had a sneak peek and the airlayer is developing callus tissue, tho no sign of roots yet. I know roots can occur with or without callus tissue and vice versa, the propagation practical at uni ran for half a semester and looked like War and Peace when finished, hahaha. Only thing it tells me is the layer is alive, and some growth happening, but thats good enough news in itself.

Found a packet of casurina seed, which saves me collecting more ( I want them for paddock regeneration too) so might toss some in and see how they go. Germination was fine with the last batch, just lost them in pricking out and inattention to seedling pot watering. These are Allocasurina verticellata, the Drooping Sheoak, our local species, very local, I collected em from trees along the road.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Jamie wrote:i havent had any luck with cassa's the two i have dug have carked it quick smart, i dont know why really either i have done everything right i beleive, maybe its because i bare rooted them?
Do you know what species Jamie?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

not a clue on the cultivar i have tried to collect. i should really investigate that.

i would of thought being cas that the prep work wasnt really any issue, obviously it is. i think tube stock is the way to go though as the ones i collected were more of an experiment than anything.

the good thing about the ones i collected to they were only young ones they werent going to be doom and gloom if they didnt survive even though it was sad they didnt pull through. i would prefer the tube stock as that way i know i am not damaging the environment aswell.

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I have collected from a river no worries. In fact I didn't even dig it out just yanked it up out of the soft sand in the dry riverbed.
Pol has me thinking any issues may have alot to do with the species.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

the second one i got was from a sludge pit, it was the edge of a river and very wet. i imitated the conditions when i got it home so it could definately be the cultivar. i just dont know which ones they were now as it has been to long and they have both been burnt!
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Jamie, tube stock is great especially if you want to grow them as shohin. You can get wires on them really young and get some movement at the base. The bark on torulosa will cork up when the trees are really small. Collecting is always a bit hit and miss.
Craig
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

thats one i have to keep my eyes open for mate :D torulosa sounds good with early corking and good for shohin.. I LOVE SHOHIN :D :D :D ;)

just have to wait now for all the bills to get cleared.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Hey, Antonio, not going to do backflips yet, my back couldnt stand it, but a root on the airlayer, and a new shoot down on the layered branch, just above the fork, in a Useful Spot I think! (Even the cuttings are looking hopeful :D )
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Greth wrote:Hey, Antonio, not going to do backflips yet, my back couldnt stand it, but a root on the airlayer, and a new shoot down on the layered branch, just above the fork, in a Useful Spot I think! (Even the cuttings are looking hopeful :D )

;) you go girl! :D
Regards Antonio:
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Lotsa roots now, not quite up to chopping, maybe another month for that. The lower shoots are happy too. !m going wholesale nursery shopping today, will keep an eye out for useful things!
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Go greth Go greth Go greth!!! :lol:
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”