She-Oak, Australian Pine
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Allocasuarina Toralosa

Post by Dario »

Hi Alpine, I second MattA's request for an update on this one if possible?
alpineart wrote:Hi Jamie its sprouting on the lower branch/original trunk so i will leave it for now as a stimulant for root growth . It will be removed and hollowed out possibly as low as ground .The depression in the trunk base is were the borers attacked the base so it should be carved out .Cheers
Would like to know if you ended up removing the original trunk and "IF" you carved it out...how is it going? Did the borers reappear?
I think you mentioned making a cutting out of the top part that you accidently broke off (resulting in its collection)...did the cutting strike?
Thanks, Dario. :)
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi guys , those bloody curl grubs claimed this one months ago and i'm still trying to eradicate the pesky little buggers found in other Bonsai trainers , .How do you stop a black beetle from walking around the garden without spraying the entire garden ,not into herbicides at that rate i just have to grin and bare it . The scoria has slowed the spread , guess they dont like the harshness of the little rocks . . I have just found a few in my junipers , they were in another old mix recipe, now repotted into the scoria blend . .

Cheers Alpine
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Hey Alpine,

Dunno if your curl grubs are the same as our ones, but I find dunking a tree in a bucket of water sees any grubs coming out in search of air. It may take an hour or two, so just don't get distracted and forget them in the bucket, something I have NEVER done! :whistle:
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Bloody Curl grubs!!! I was really looking forward to see the progression of this one given its age and the carving to be done etc :shake:
Thanks for the update Alpine,
Cheers, Dario. :tu2:

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”