alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Allocasuarina Toralosa

Post by alpineart »

This was a collected by mistake after attempting to photograph the tree on a holiday .No tools were used in the poaching of the tree , i actually grabbed the trunk as i slipped while trying to get a nice closeup pic . It followed me down the steep embankment and not want to litter the roadside i through it in the back of the ute where it remained for several days until i arrived home .
100_5408.jpg
100_5409.jpg
I have counted the growth rings under a high powered magnifier and i can count 105 ,{Counted 4-5 times] however the centre 8mm cant be counted as the rings are too fine .Didn't realize how big a needle point was under the scope .The borers have been into the trunk and it has since disappeared the new trunk is obviously the base branch .
100_5412.jpg
The apex was snapped off in my eagerness to wire and shape the trunk line ,hence this i where the ring count was done at approx' a 50mm section .The base is around 125mm and had a magic root mass however i noticed a curl grub in the bottom when inspecting the root and it has done some serious damage .It has shoots coming from the old bark so hopefully it will continue to move ahead .Cheers Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Allocasuarina Toralosa

Post by MattA »

alpineart wrote:This was a collected by mistake after attempting to photograph the tree on a holiday .No tools were used in the poaching of the tree , i actually grabbed the trunk as i slipped while trying to get a nice closeup pic . It followed me down the steep embankment and not want to litter the roadside i through it in the back of the ute where it remained for several days until i arrived home
A likely story Alpine, sounds like many of mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

MattA wrote:
alpineart wrote:This was a collected by mistake after attempting to photograph the tree on a holiday .No tools were used in the poaching of the tree , i actually grabbed the trunk as i slipped while trying to get a nice closeup pic . It followed me down the steep embankment and not want to litter the roadside i through it in the back of the ute where it remained for several days until i arrived home
A likely story Alpine, sounds like many of mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt
True story Matt , the wife was there to bare witness .She was more worried about the new jeans i ripped the butt out of , than me being carted off for a very long holiday for poaching a tree . :oops:
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

alpineart wrote: True story Matt , the wife was there to bare witness .She was more worried about the new jeans i ripped the butt out of , than me being carted off for a very long holiday for poaching a tree . :oops:
LOL now it really is starting to sound like one of my stories :oops: :oops: I ripped my jeans & my leg open the last time, but it was well worth it for the ficus I got off the rock face :mrgreen:

The things we do for good yamadori :roll:
Matt
Last edited by MattA on June 1st, 2010, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Its crap !!! send it down here, i'll dispose of it for you... :P :P :P
Regards Antonio:
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Huge potential with this one Alpine and a testament to how robust this species is.
Craig
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Let me congratulate you on your civil mindedness not to litter the Aussie bush Alpine. And thanks on the tree's behalf for saving it's life. :)
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

anttal63 wrote:Its crap !!! send it down here, i'll dispose of it for you... :P :P :P
Just a bent thick stick , mate if i through this away i would come back like a boomarang .Cheers
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

bodhidharma wrote:Let me congratulate you on your civil mindedness not to litter the Aussie bush Alpine. And thanks on the tree's behalf for saving it's life. :)
The penalties for littering entered my head when i finished sliding .
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

craigw60 wrote:Huge potential with this one Alpine and a testament to how robust this species is.
Craig
Hi Craig , robust but brittle , if i didn't snap the top off the borer would still be in the trunk , at least i hope the one in the cutting is the only critter on board.Cheers
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

i like this trunk alpine! this has some great potential, i am wondering what your thoughts are on the heavy first branch? are you planing on keeping it, or regrowing? being that it is basically as thick as the trunk it distracts the eye just that little bit. to me anyways :? :)

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Jamie its sprouting on the lower branch/original trunk so i will leave it for now as a stimulant for root growth . It will be removed and hollowed out possibly as low as ground .The depression in the trunk base is were the borers attacked the base so it should be carved out .Cheers
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

alpineart wrote:
bodhidharma wrote:Let me congratulate you on your civil mindedness not to litter the Aussie bush Alpine. And thanks on the tree's behalf for saving it's life. :)
The penalties for littering entered my head when i finished sliding .
Hah!

Very nice one Alpine, interesting movement there. Kudos to you for sitting there with a magnifying glass too.
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Anja, in most cases i count the ring growths on all my material ,if not at the chop top then at a side branch or even the tap root .The tap root and trunk are the most accurate , the side branches are an indicator of growth rate over a period , whilst i count 105 rings divide it by 2 for the 2 growth periods per year puts it over 50 years old.

I would expect the trunk to be 3-4 times the diameter for that age .Then again i'm no hort" expert on Aussie Natives and i dont know the growth rate of this species . The fissures in the bark are about 16-18mm deep that in itself indicates a fair age .Cheers
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Alpine,

Any chance of an update, this one intrigued me as it shows how hardy they are....

Apologies for bumping everyones old threads, I have one of these I am thinking may be ready for its next stage...

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”