Black Sheoak Forest

She-Oak, Australian Pine
Krusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Black Sheoak Forest

Post by Krusty »

I recently purchased a whole bunch of black sheoaks for a steal at $10 each and a very large one for $50. I am going to take the smaller ones (7 in all) and create a forest with them. I especially love the one with the really large taper. Lots of character there. I fell in love with black sheoaks when i read anttal63's progress thread for his large one.

I was wondering when would be a good time to pot these? And do black sheoaks respond well to air layering? I'm looking to air layer the larger one (not pictured).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: Black Sheoak Forest

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Krusty, I don't know about the layering but the repotting is done during the warm weather not now. More like nov, dec, jan, The same would apply to your euc and any other natives. I am glad you have taken to the cas. litoralis , I reckon they have huge bonsai potential. I haven't started really working the foliage of mine yet but from what I've seen the growth seems to be much more compact than torulosa and the bark is hard.
Craig
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Re: Black Sheoak Forest

Post by Amanda »

I enjoy seeing our natives potential, love the base on the last one!
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”