Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Rose or Weeping Sheoak

Post by Roger »

Matt
Your 'hard bends', are for me, heading very much in a good direction. In my experience with casuarinas they just don't do 'S-bends', such as one gets with wiring. They will do 'arcs', both small and grand in size relative to the height of the tree. Arcs will often end with a sudden, abrupt change of direction usally caused by the death of the tip of the 'arc' (insect if small/ young, or broken if an older branch. The branch then heads off in a totally new direction. Sometimes the 'dead' end is short and grows over with bark, but often it is a significant stub, maybe with a nesting hollow in the end. These two shapes of lines, arcs and sudden abrupt changes, are what gives many casuarinas their characteristic form. They could be used the way the standard shaping of pines is followed.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Roger,
While I agree fully with your observations, with the classical pine styling of this tree, hard bends do not fit with the rest of the movement. I would even consider taking the branch lower longer wider & much fuller, a platform to then climb up into the tree.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Craig, Matt and Roger. thankyou very much gentlemen for your input and kind words, all taken on board for future consideration as the years roll by. :tu:
Last edited by anttal63 on February 13th, 2012, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

I always love this bushy out of controll look how ever it is not horticulturally healthy for it to stay like this too long.
2012-12-26-696.jpg
So i then did a good clean out and repot to complete 2nd stage of the regig. I decided against the PK pot. I feel this pots smoothness contrasts far better and i love the way the warm tones pick up through the year ! I have changed the potting angle and position and think it is far better also. In a month or so when it settles i will do a detailed wiring again. :tu:
2012-12-26-697.jpg
:tu: :tu: :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

Wow I like that ... Will only look better in years to come
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

Developing nicely, Antonio. Good work.
More clip and grow and less wiring will pay good dividends with this species.
Roger
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Meagi wrote:Wow I like that ... Will only look better in years to come
Thanks again mate !!! :tu:
Roger wrote:Developing nicely, Antonio. Good work.
More clip and grow and less wiring will pay good dividends with this species.
Roger
Hi Roger thanks as always !!! :tu: i am a lover of wire and believe that without we cannot do great bonsai. The little things annoying me at the moment can only be addressed by wiring !!! Clip and grow alone will never cut it... pardon the pun... :tu: :tu: :tu:
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”