MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Allocasuarina torulosa

Post by MattA »

I had this tree identified today so I can now put the post in the right place.

This is one of a handful of torulosa seedlings that came up in one of my pots about 4yrs ago. It survived fairly brutal treatment in the early days before finally being planted in the ground 2.5yrs ago.
R0014671rs.jpg
R0014672rs.jpg
It was very slow to do anything & I wondered if the ground was the best place for this tree. That was until about 6months ago when it just seemed to find its groove. On comparison with the only older photo of this tree from about june '10 there has actually been quite a bit of thickening of the branchs & trunk at long last. A few more years yet but I am happy with its progress.
R0013066.JPG
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Re: Allocasuarina torulosa

Post by MattA »

Butchered more than a few months ago and its back to slow growing :lost:
100_3771rz.jpg
100_3772rz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks for posting. I'll be a bit more patient with mine.

That's a lovely line from the trunk out to the low left branch - would you be considering cutting it back to there at some stage?

Gavin
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Most Casuarina I think are slow to get going again after a big chop
I have 2 in the ground the same but they are no torulosa

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

I've found them variable in response to root pruning and don't why they vary. Heavy root pruning sets back most trees and I'd guess that they are re-establishing new root system during that time when all is quiet up top - but this should be checked by someone game to lift their 'quiet' tree to see what's happening.

I repotted a group of three in spring and they had begun to produce some new 'leaves' when it warmed up. Then a kurrawong of possum decided to sit on it and tipped one nearly out of the ground. I straightened it up, but new soil around and firmed it in. It responded with new growth within about three weeks. Temperature / time of year may be one of the factors causing time to respond to vary.

R
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Gavin,
They are slow but definitely worth the patient, stunning bark & beautiful fine branchlets. I had never noticed but it is a nice line and recently popped a new shoot halfway between the ground & first branch, on the opposite side to it. For now it will be left to help fatten the lower trunk but would be a good first branch in a reduced tree.

Ken,
This is my first torulosa and I am still learning with it. C.cunninghamiana usually powers away for me if done during the warmer months.

Roger,
No root work was done only major pruning of the branches & reducing its height. I left some growth as I wasn't sure if it would shoot further back, the shoot mentioned above is the only one not from what was left.

I had a look at the roots a few months ago & below soil level is the worst reverse taper with a reasonably good spread of roots. I was thinking of digging & replanting in a better spot (ie not in solid clay). Would now be ok to do this and can I bare root it?

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

Matt
I'm not hugely confident about repotting in summer. I did the 'accidental' partial repot thanks to my animal visitors(!) in Dec - hottish, but this is a cool summer. No problems with it as it is growing like mad. So one can conclude, that with proper care (avoiding drying out primarily) you can do the repot when ever you are reasonably sure there will be sufficient immediate growing conditions for the tree to recover soon after the repot - like 6+ weeks of good growing weather. Avoid harsh conditions like full sun and attend to all those usual after-care things too.

I've also had strong reverse taper at ground level with A torulosa and A littoralis, but not with C cunninghamiana. To some extent the reverse taper is a casualty of the fantastic development of corky bark on the two former ones. The roots (or even trunk if below ground level) doesn't develop the cork, so you get the great apparent thickening of the trunk (really mostly the bark) and then you are back to reality once you go below ground. If you like precedents, think of the corky barked pines in Japan, where it is reported that those who like the style are not fussed about the reverse taper. Besides, there is a bit too much made of reverse taper. Yes, avoid it in most circumstances because the style of tree doesn't look so good with it, but in certain circumstances it is just fine. Don't get hooked on ticking boxes of 'rules'. :twisted:

R
Andrew E
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club, South Lakes Bonsai Club

Post by Andrew E »

Nice one Matt,
Hows it going with you sell out, still going? Is this one going up for sale/swap ;) , I can give it a good home.
Good to see your still posting mate.
Hopefully catch up soon
Andrew
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Roger,
Thanks for such a speedy & indepth reply. It does seem to be a trait of the species, wild ones I have seen growing in harsh conditions are also similar, if growing in better conditions they develop a more 'usual' nebari.

This time last year I wouldn't have considered it but it has been cooler & wetter, the clay it grows in is usually rock hard now. It looks like the ultimate decision on when to dig will rest with Andrew :cool:

Rarely one to tick boxes, the reverse taper disturbs my eye when put below what is starting to become a really nice tree. I think a number of different methods could help. Using a small blade make a number of short splits trying to follow the grooves of the bark should help & be fairly unobtrusive long term. Alternately, splitting & spreading the base from under the roots, healing is another matter and not one I have enough experience to gamble on.

Andrew,
Can't get rid of me that easy. :tounge:
Will try & get a load of pics up soon of whats here. About half is heading for or already in the ground to be forgotten (ie 10+yr projects). Theres a few I just can't part with but then I did spy a nice chunky multi trunk Moreton Bay last time I was down. Another 10yr project :palm:
Be good to see my Ginkgo again and talk to you about that 'BIG' pine ;)

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I gave this tree another light trim today using the grab method. Hope you like its progress Andrew ;)
100_4588rz.jpg
100_4592rz.jpg
100_4593rz.jpg
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Andrew E
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club, South Lakes Bonsai Club

Post by Andrew E »

Looking good mate, great to see. You'll have to come over to the new place to see the new set up. Was good to catch up at the club show a few weeks ago.
Talk soon
Andrew
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

The time had come so on the 18th I got in & dug this baby from my front garden. It has been in the shade since but with no backsliding will be moved to full sun as of tomorow :tu:
100_5817rz.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Now that has some promise Matt. Looking forward to its progress.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks Bodhi :D
Its future lies in anothers hands but I see the possibility for 2 trees :tu2:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

The way the trunk and branches move is very fluid and harmonious - if you make two trees maybe you would lose it. I will be very interested to see how the new owner develops the fine branches. It's a unique creation.

Gavin

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”