Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Kunzea Yamadori

Post by matty-j »

Hey Everyone

I collected this Kunzea 2 years ago, I never removed the cay soil in which it was growing when I collected it. it has gone from strength to strength so I decided it is now or never to get in there and sort the solid clay mess that was the root system.
It has put on quite a substantial amount of fine fibrous roots (its good to know the diatomite is working) but the rootball was solid clay, so all the new roots grew around the clay and down into my soil mix. I started the repot on monday, I removed all of the substrate from the roots leaving only the clay rootball. I then submerged the plant over night in Seasol to try and reduce some of the stress.
the following day I removed the clay which was a mission!!! the soaking overnight did however make the job a lot easier! I water blasted all the original soil and potted into a diatomite, pumice, zeolite mix and placed in a tray of water

Has anyone bare-rooted a Kunzea before?

Any thoughts on its survival? :fc: it pulls through!

I did however manage to forget to take a photo of the tree potted up :palm:

Cheers
Matt
IMG_4738.jpg
IMG_4912.jpg
IMG_4914.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: Kunzea Yamadori

Post by Josh »

Nice tree Matt. I pretty much bare root all my jinxes when I collected to rove the old soil with no problems at all. Good after care and it should be fine.

Josh.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have had a couple of goes at ground growing Kunzea parvifolia. I've dug them from the grow beds in November and pretty much bare rooted and cut back roots quite hard. Survival rat has been around 50% from the small number i have trialled. Yours has plenty of feeder roots so I'd say a very good chance of growing on.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by matty-j »

Thanks for the feedback Josh and Shibui

it s still looking green and hasn't drooped at all so :fc: but I also go stuck into another one with just as much clay!
IMG_4928.jpg
IMG_4929.jpg
Cheers
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh

Return to “Kunzea”