Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Collected Kunzea Ericoides

Post by Josh »

This is a Kunzea I collected a year or two ago. It was a large bush/tree when I collected it. I have since found these don't back bud on old wood to well. I slowly cut this one back hoping it would force budding but it only buds from the end 1 cm. This was a waste of time as I had about two foot of branch to cut back to get foliage closer. Any way after a year or so I decided to try to do something with it. I had to bend the main trunk to get it closer so out came the tie down ratchets. It took a lot of force to get it in closer (and a couple of cracking noises :? ).
Then a bit of wiring and some placement of branches and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Will have to leave the trunk tied in place for a year or two to try and get it to set in place. Will jin the stumps at some point. Happy for comments.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Collected Kunzea Ericoides

Post by Watto »

Josh - firstly many congratulations on successfully collecting Aus native material. This is perhaps the greatest way for Australian bonsai to grow and prosper as I believe we must do the local plants.
And now the tree, good start and please keep us informed. How it matures over time will be very interesting. Good luck with it.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Good on ya Josh,

Don't forget where that ratchet is next time you have a load.
Looking forward to how it turns out too.

Kevin
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Hi Josh any chance of an update on this monster 8-)
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Agreed, i would like an update. :bump:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

This tree has not missed a beat. It's in need of a trim and wire needs to be removed. I used it as demo piece at our club in Jan. I didn't like the branch on top sticking up like it did. It seemed to go against the rest of the tree. So as part of the demo I talk about bending natives and working with what you have, thinking outside the box. So I bent crap out of this tree again. I cranked the ratchet a few more turns and bought the main trunk in closer. I then bent the branch on top down to match the rest. I want to grow some branching toward the back (which may become the front yet). I've got some work to do jining the stumps. I'm pretty happy with how this is going. I'll take some better photos in the next couple of days and post but here it is for now.
kunzea.jpg
kunzea 2.jpg
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Cool , the tangled web we weave . I'll be interested to see this when its revealed . Thanks for the update Josh
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the update mate. The most difficult part for you will be to just let it grow for the next year or two so all those bends set properly. This is great work, don't be distracted if there are any negative comments.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Cheers Josh...she's got some mean bends happening :o do wire marks heal well on Kunzea? not that you have any, just mine has :palm:
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

One of my favourite posts. Good to see it powering on Josh. Have a candidate for such a workout as well. Looking forward to future updates. Cheers John.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks for keeping us informed Josh. :yes:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Watto wrote:Thanks for the update mate. The most difficult part for you will be to just let it grow for the next year or two so all those bends set properly. This is great work, don't be distracted if there are any negative comments.
Cheers Watto, I think it might take more than a year or two to set the big branch :palm: :o I'll let it grow as much as I can but I find you do need to work these constantly to get good pads etc as they grow very leggy very quickly. I grow my trees for myself, I listen to all comments (good and bad) I value some, and do my own thing anyway :lol: :lol: This tree has a long way to go and it will be a slow process. I'm thinking long term on this tree, not a quick bonsai. I did get one more luck out if the ratchet yesterday though, couldn't help myself :whistle:
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

no idea wrote:Cheers Josh...she's got some mean bends happening :o do wire marks heal well on Kunzea? not that you have any, just mine has :palm:
No Idea I was a bit surprised I got it to bend as much as I did, that's a really thick branch and it now has some big crinkles in it. It will take a long time set (if it sets). Yes wire scares heal really well on Kunzea (in my experience). It can add texture to the bark bug because they grow so quick the scare heals over quickly. I often leave my wire on Kunzea until it just starts to bite in. I fi d this holds the branch in place bettter.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

boom64 wrote:One of my favourite posts. Good to see it powering on Josh. Have a candidate for such a workout as well. Looking forward to future updates. Cheers John.
Thank John, this was never in the original plan for this tree and I had given up on collecting big Kunzea as they don't back bud, but now I'm intrigued to dig some more and see what I can do with them. Will keep updating as I go, if you don't hear from for a while just remind me.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

bodhidharma wrote:Thanks for keeping us informed Josh. :yes:
Cheers Bodhi, I'm a little surprised it survived the last bend as I got a couple of cracks but it hasn't missed a beat and I'll keep pushing it. I'm living kunzeas though.

Return to “Kunzea”