Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Kunzea Ericoides

Post by Josh »

Heres another Kunzea I've been working on for a while now. Again another larger collected tree that wouldn't back bud. Decided go with a literati style on this one.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Kunzea Ericoides

Post by boom64 »

Hi Josh,
Nice material you have ,the design will look terrific once it fills out. I know what you mean about getting it to break buds, nearly impossible on large material. I have tried a full cascade and a cascading branch design similar to yours. Originally powered on but gradually they seem to loose there vigour at the bottom of the tail after a year or two. I am growing Ambigua so maybe a little different in habit. Looking forward to future updates .
Cheers John.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: Kunzea Ericoides

Post by Josh »

boom64 wrote:Hi Josh,
Nice material you have ,the design will look terrific once it fills out. I know what you mean about getting it to break buds, nearly impossible on large material. I have tried a full cascade and a cascading branch design similar to yours. Originally powered on but gradually they seem to loose there vigour at the bottom of the tail after a year or two. I am growing Ambigua so maybe a little different in habit. Looking forward to future updates .
Cheers John.
I find these apex dominate, once you turn the branch upside down the tail becomes the weaker point. I find if I allow the tail to grow more freely while controlling the crown I get better growth. Hope I can keep it going. It does need to fill out a lot but happy so far. I also find that you need to remove any shoots from the base immediately or else they take energy away from the top.

Josh

Return to “Kunzea”