Kunzea 'survival'

anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Kunzea 'survival'

Post by anthonyW »

This material was designed yesterday to represent a piece that must find light quickly or perish as Australian woodlands/forests can be heavy in growth/competion let alone a harsh environment...meaning the bush must find/take that space fast (or perish) to search out the light and sun rays along with any moisture/dew.

It was quite a challenge this material as one trunk was very straight and no foliage low and all pieces quite gnarly to bend, so here is my raw design and the lovely pot made by Janet Selby...one size up mayby..but room to move....what would you do with this material? :)

Could of aptly be called 'searching' or 'crooked sticks' a way to go but a start...cheers
php4E8iAbPM.jpg
phpF1rky0PM.jpg
php2K0aFrPM.jpg
phpWzbe6fPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Kunzea 'survival'

Post by MJL »

Yep, interesting stock and composition again Anthony. I really like the way you imagine the setting. I am biased, because I love a group, clump or forest setting but I think many natives benefits from this form. The chaos of multiple trunks and lines adding to the feeling of trees reaching for and competing for light. A walk in a coastal setting will often show slender trunks writhing out like snakes; yet stand on top of the dunes and somehow the canopy looks as one... chaotic harmony. Beautiful.

Hey - hardly for me to provide you an idea ... but what would it look like if the bottom (left tree) slightly broke away from the other two and even peaked out left a little more ... it may sound counter-intuitive (because there's harmony in the current set-up) but perhaps a little break-away might add a spoonful of randomness and build on the 'survival' story. Even in 3 trees one is finding a different way to live. Just an idea - it might look sh!t. (The latter being a technical term I often use for my own weird compositions. :) )
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Firstly Mark please keep the ideas/critiquing coming on all my trees always appreciate that mate, in fact what you said pushed me that way, so thankyou for that.

The leading trunk is the strongest in size and foliage volume and takes the light as such so using your isolation idea made sense and i was able to create some more bend as well, I was then able to shadow the dead trunk at the back with the other two trunks to bring it back into the frame making more sense there i believe.

I am much happier with the direction/silouette even know the folige looks a bit beat up now ...nice one Mark :beer: :beer: :beer:
phpJQPTYeAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Cool! I reckon the new look is more 'wild' looking. I liked the first version and I reckon this version has more attitude ... a spoonful of chaos. :yes:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Anthony ,you sure are having some fun. Nice improvement after Marks comments. I will throw in an idea or two .Hope it makes sense :fc:
The middle trunk moved to the left just above the deadwood and basically follow the trunk line of the main trunk of no one. With the branches at the end mingle them with the present branches of no one. Hopefully keep the deadwood of the middle trunk pointing at about two o'clock position.
The smallest trunk on the right bend trunk to the left at the point were it goes right. Maybe a few hard kinks to keep it smaller in height compared to the other two . With the small branches at the apex on this trunk wire them to follow the direction of your bottom piece of deadwood and hopefully the the deadwood on the middle trunk should also roughly be in the same direction. Keep branches short and struggling.
I think it kind of makes sense.. Have you been removing all the flowers ?
Cheers John.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Well done John it makes alot of sense, I took on your direction with the tops of those two lesser trunks at your bending points if ever so slightly with them hard and gnarly but got a little bit which helped them dance more with main guy and still keeping Marks direction down low with gap between the the main and co,,,Thankyou Mark and John, great input there....cheers Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Well done John it makes alot of sense, I took on your direction with the tops of those two lesser trunks at your bending points if ever so slightly with them hard and gnarly but got a little bit which helped them dance more with main guy and still keeping Marks direction down low with gap between the the main and co,,,Thankyou Mark and John, great input there....cheers Anthony

Return to “Kunzea”