Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Kunzea erioides snowman

Post by PeterH »

Tree is 35cm high.

Kind Regards,

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Kunzea erioides snowman

Post by MJL »

Peter, your trees are out of the very top drawer. Thanks for posting. Part of the magic is that - without a size indicator in the photos - this tree and the aphrodite look much larger than 35cm and 25cm. Clever and skillful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by MJL on March 9th, 2020, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Kunzea erioides snowman

Post by Keels »

Your tree was my favorite from the Native show. :tu:

I almost thought it was a gum at first. :palm:
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

Amazing! Love the beautiful trunk!
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

So is Kunzea phylicoides and Kunzea ERIOIDES the same plant?
Peter.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

PWC wrote: March 9th, 2020, 7:22 pm So is Kunzea phylicoides and Kunzea ERIOIDES the same plant?
I’m pretty sure the spelling should have been Kunzea Ericoides, and from what I can tell it looks nothing like Kunzea Phylicoides you mention.... but that’s just through what I found in 5 minutes on google. Cracking tree though... lovely work. :yes:
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DangerousDave »

I really like this tree. It seems quite popular on this forum too (and seemingly at the recent native convention - congratulations Peter). Beautiful bark and perfect subtle taper. This has quite an ‘Australian’ feel to it for me.. but I know that is something that is hard to define and perhaps something people often shy away from identifying. I think it mostly comes from the upward branching style in this case.

I find it interesting that many desirable or popular attributes are only mildly present.. there is only a small amount of nebari flare, there is only slight and subtle tachiagari movement/angle, and there is not a great amount of ramification in the branch structure. But.. I don’t feel any of these things are missing from the tree, rather the subtleties of all of those features make for a gentle balance that draws the eye through the detail and also lets that spectacular bark feature. I love the rhs branch. The slightly crossing secondaries on the main left branch break the flow a bit for me, but I also like to see that sort of thing in a tree. Too much careful branch structure starts to look too contrived and unnatural.

Bit of a ramble, but I had to comment on what is such a nice tree, but also had to mention that I find it’s popularity interesting.
Last edited by DangerousDave on March 9th, 2020, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DangerousDave »

With regard to the taxonomy.. for those with an interest in that sort of thing.. I found it interesting to read on plantnet (http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-b ... ~ericoides) that:

“Kunzea ericoides in the strict sense is a New Zealand species.In eastern Australia, the name has been applied to a very diverse range of plants that vary in habit, leaf shape, indumentum and branching. No taxonomic resolution of the Australian populations has been made yet.”
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

DangerousDave wrote: March 9th, 2020, 10:31 pm I find it interesting that many desirable or popular attributes are only mildly present.. there is only a small amount of nebari flare, there is only slight and subtle tachiagari movement/angle, and there is not a great amount of ramification in the branch structure. But.. I don’t feel any of these things are missing from the tree, rather the subtleties of all of those features make for a gentle balance that draws the eye through the detail and also lets that spectacular bark feature. I love the rhs branch. The slightly crossing secondaries on the main left branch break the flow a bit for me, but I also like to see that sort of thing in a tree. Too much careful branch structure starts to look too contrived and unnatural.
I think that's what really draws me to this tree, is that it looks exactly like something you'd find out in the bush somewhere. The hyper-styled pines and junipers at Japanese shows are very impressive from a technical perspective but don't really do it for me aesthetically - it's the natural tree look for me.

If every bonsai followed the "rules" then everything would look the same - nature follows no rules!

Very subtle and clever styling Peter, thanks for sharing another beauty. Do you happen to have progression shots of this one?
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alex_B »

I really like this tree it looks so natural as others have pointed out I feel like you could easily see this tree somewhere in the bush while on a hike. I love the trunk and all the colours it is showing.

The temptation to get some natives is strong.
Alexa
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All that work
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Alexa »

One stunning tree!!

That pot is a little orgasmic as well.
:tu:
The Photons did it!

Return to “Kunzea”