LillY Pilly
MrSnoopy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4

Syzygium Australe 'Garden Lights'

Post by MrSnoopy »

So walking through the local garden centre (after some more cutting paste before my one runs out... better safe than sorry :tu: ) I stumbled onto a little dwarf lilli-pilly. I grabbed the best looking with a nice healthy trunk, branch structure and superb foliage to see what could be done with it. Now I'm no expert on these guys, but has anyone ever worked with dwarf syzygium before? is there anything that I should be wary of when I begin working with the tree?

This is, to be honest, my first native in almost 3 years :palm: (Yea I know, not good...)

In the absolute worst case, I'll let my nephew begin working on this guy as his 'introduction to bonsai' so he can get used to the techniques and learn a few skills since he has a lot of interest in my figs :D .

Cheers,
Trevor
If a man works on his bonsai alone and speaks, and his wife doesn't hear him, is he still wrong?
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Re: Syzygium Australe 'Garden Lights'

Post by Jason »

Hey mate,

Definately a good candidate for bonsai, and being a native... what could be better? (in my honest opinion :P :aussie: )

Whilst I'm no expert, there are a few threads about the forums already that touch on them. I've listed a couple below for you, but a search of "syzygium" will come back with a few hits: search.php?keywords=Syzygium+&terms=all ... mit=Search

These are a couple of the more recent posts:

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=17077&p=173243&hi ... um#p173243

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14850&p=152909&hil ... um#p152909

Good luck :tu:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Return to “Syzygium”