Nelso
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

backyard lillipilli

Post by Nelso »

Hi,
This lillipilli was planted in my yard 8 years ago, with no intention for use as bonsai. 2 years ago the plant needed to be removed for a number of reasons, so late winter I dug it up and put it in a cheap plastic storage tub with a dose of seasol, and a reduction of the foliage to aid recovery only. The whole process to be honest was quiet brutal with little care taken as I didn't have the time to mess about.
After no time at all the tree went nuts. Throwing new foliage and growing strong for a further 12months until today when I noticed the cheap plastic tub has developed some nasty cracks and is in need of replacement. So I broke the plastic away and started combing the clay/crud soil away to reduce the root ball to a respectable size. Unfortunately the large solid clay balls that broke away in chunks took a large amount of the new fine roots with it. I contemplated hosing the soil away but persevered not knowing how it would handle that sort of treatment, as this is the first I have dealt with lilli pilli with Traditional bonsai techniques.
Hopefully it pulls through as it is over 100mm in diameter and 800mm high, nice taper and some degree of nebari under the soil which should provide the opportunity for a nice bonsai in the future. tomorrow I will make up a box to fit. The following pictures are a few quick progression pics I managed to snap off. Any advice on lillipillis in general would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: backyard lillipilli

Post by alpineart »

Hi Nelso , mate it has good taper and subtle movement , should be able to conceal the chop under the foliage, should make for a good informal upright . Keep a little on the drier side if the growth has been removed .Mine rooted the root mass due to excess moisture after trimming hard , it did lack roots on collection unlike you specimen . Best of luck with it .

Cheers Alpineart
Nelso
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nelso »

Hi alpine thanks for the reply, appreciate the advice. Looking forward to its further development
Nelso
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nelso »

Just a quick up date on my lilli pilli.
I spent two hours giving the plant its first (very rough)style today. I removed very little foliage and just wired out what was there to get the rough shape.As it turns out there is no nebari to speak of after a bit of digging around, but I'm quiet happy with its progress over a two year period.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Looking very good mate
Anthony
jimmi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by jimmi »

Turning into a really nice tree, well done.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

Looking good..
I wonder how a ground layer would go to form a new base/nebari?

Could be worth it...
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Fantastic.
Don't you just love when they are right under your nose? :tu:
Nelso
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nelso »

Thanks for the reply guys. Boics I would love to layer a new root system. I've only successfully done air layers, no ground layers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, ie timing and method...
Nelso
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nelso »

I have decided to sell this large lillipilli as I am moving house and no longer have room for larger trees.
No set price as of yet I will wait to see what feed back or fair offers I receive.
Thanks
Joel

Return to “Syzygium”