Lilly pilly

LillY Pilly
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Lilly pilly

Post by Albo »

Found an older nursery stock Lilly pilly on the clearance bench in April. I think I paid $6 for it.
It’s just in the last week started throwing out new shoots after repotting and some branch selection.
Still not sure what I’m gonna do with this styling wise, so will just let it go and get stronger until spring or later. Can make some decisions then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Lilly pilly

Post by GavinG »

That's a lovely strong trunk, with a bit of a swing to make it interesting! The branches from there get thin quite quickly, and then grow long - I'd be inclined to cut them back quite a way to bare wood, and regrow them to develop tapered branches. If you can select one to be a continuing trunk, grow it very long and thick before you cut it back, then build another storey of branches higher up. It might take longer, but you'll get a structure that's in proportion all the way up.

They're a lovely tree, and for $6 a great score!

Gavin
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Albo »

I was thinking an angle change so it’s not so straight out of the pot. Then encouraging a line like this with grow and cut as you describe Gavin. I’ll probably just leave it alone until spring for now and let the cuts heal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Albo »

I picked a leader to let grow on as a sacrifice.
I will remove more branches later on but I figured I’d let it go through winter and make more decisions in spring.
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Albo »

Did a bit of an angle change on this Lilly pilly and am pushing it more to a semi cascade style.

Return to “Syzygium”