LillY Pilly
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Lilly Pilly After care

Post by Bretts »

Possibly right Bretts, you may have saved it but i also think you went to early on that scotts if i remember right
A bit late I believe but I am still not ruling out that the roots got too hard a time either.
The tree was telling me it needed more air but I thought being in the orchid pot with akadama was the best I could do as it just wasn't using it's water up. Having this pot tipped and giving it water even though it did not need water is exactly what it was asking for I reckon. I also could have been giving it snake oil more often this way.

Ah I remember that one now Pup it must not be under the Lilly pilly heading. This Lilly pilly has been looking after itself under shade cloth with an automatic watering system over Summer and when I got it back it was healthy and some what over grown but in the right conditions it needs constant pruning so it has not grown any where near as much as it should have.
I think the tree went into some what of a dormant period and that is why it is taking a while to take off even though it has the right conditions now.
Here is the picture from last year
lilly.jpg
And a quick snap of it in the new pot
lilly2.jpg
Good news is that I believe I see the first signs of new buds today. Lets see how far I can get it in the next month before the closing date for the Native Photo contest :D
Edit: Hoping no one would notice the central position of the tree to the pot :| I tried to swap the sides of direction and ended up too close to the centre. Maybe I can adjust when the vigor is back :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on March 2nd, 2010, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Brett the Japanese mix for conifers is 50x50 Akadama and gravel as in crushed always washed.

I suppose I might be to late to say look though BT there a couple of recovery articles in them on Juniper and Pine.

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

From experience Scotts, white and Mugo best repotted in Dec. It looks fine Brett probably sooking over the nights getting cooler too. Its funny you say about it not needing water at the time. That is exactly the case here. The soil was never dry here by the early evening but on the odd chance that i forgot to water in the evening, It definately looked pissed off the next morning. Soil still damp :shock: Thats when i started thinking why does all this watering go against what we are being taught. On another post somewhere i remember fly bringing up the fact the koreschopfs mentioning about Aussie natives needing oxygen. At the time i think my answer was all potted trees need oxygen, natives just more so. or thinking that to myself later.:? :roll: :D When i first started bonsai, i cant remember who but i will never forget the words, "That when you cut the roots of a native, you must do it in a bucket of water so no oxygen is sucked up by the roots when cut. :shock: I'm pissn meself typing this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by anttal63 on March 2nd, 2010, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I can't remember my exact mix Pup but I was going by the recomendation by Arthur who you get the stuff off. I believe it would have been 50/50

I will have to revisit the repotting of the Scotts Antonio. I thought Grant told me I did it too early as the candles had started top swell or move. The Canberra Newsletter said I did it right others do it in Winter or Autumn. Buggerd if I know. Wouldn't the candles be extended in December?

This lilly pilly has not minded drying out in the past. In fact it seemed to like it. I think it was Dennis that suggested that natives don't need water trays, that they adapt to the conditions.
Still experimenting with Lilly pilly so will see how this goes in this shallower pot.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Interesting thread. I have 5 lilly pilly's outside atm. One of which is recovering from a repot, the other 4 recovering from not being watered at the nursery. No new shoots yet, so i'll be following this thread with anticipation of your results and mine to come. Thanks.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Great CD. I was very keen to get my hands on this tree again as I was not expecting it to be away all Summer it has been alot of fun to work with.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

[This lilly pilly has not minded drying out in the past. In fact it seemed to like it. I think it was Dennis that suggested that natives don't need water trays, that they adapt to the conditions.
Still experimenting with Lilly pilly so will see how this goes in this shallower pot.[/quote]

Brett I have over 80 natives most of them Melaleucas of the swamp variety. I have NEVER kept them in water trays even ones that are 2 inches (5cm ) tall.

I sit them in trays filled with gravel then they are watered as normal. Some have put roots though the bottom into the gravel. These trays sit over WATER trays.
It is a system I have used for the last 16 years. This is for Miniatures. All of my other Melaleucas sit on benches some on pedestals as do all of my tree's. In our summer conditions.

At the moment because of all this talk of water trays I have two sitting in water trays as an experiment. They are not growing as well as those sitting in the gravel trays.

It has only been two months though.

Cheers :) Pup
Last edited by Pup on March 2nd, 2010, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

That's interesting Pup. I think if even the willow's condition can be improved by taking it out of a water tray then surely we would also do better just getting the condition right without a water tray for the natives.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

This guy has still not fully recovered from last seasons stint at the orange bonsai club's collection where it got minimal care all season. After a long over due repott late in the season it was slow to respond and I could not seem to get the yellow out of the leaves. A fresh repott recently and I am looking forward to it returning to the vibrant growth it gave me for the first year or so I owned it.
Can't wait to get some wire onto it. I think it is a shallower pot than recommended for this species but reckon it will be worth the extra care :)
lilly.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

How is this Lilly Pilly going Bretts?
Can you please update this thread when you return?
Cheers, Dario.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

It went well after the last repot, it did not mind the shallow pot at all. So much so that I decided to defoliate it last year so as to get into the branch structure and open the inners up.
Little mistake of it being a little too late and early cold weather damaged the new growth. Didn't look great over the Winter but I was lucky not to lose any branches.
It in now into a deeper pot again and growing well. Looking forward to working it again this year. I will get a pic up when I get back :wave:
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Good to hear you didn't loose any branches through the winter after the late defol and early cold weather :tu2: ...look forward to seeing it!
Cheers, Dario.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Here is the tree as promised Dario. Still needs a good work over :imo:
004.jpg
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Hi Bretts, it sure looks like the deeper pot has done it wonders with stacks of regrowth mate!
Thanks again for updating this one, it is looking great. Be sure to post again as you get stuck into it!
Cheers, Dario. :)
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by beanwagon »

Updates?

Return to “Syzygium”