Acmena Smithii

chriswaghorn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Acmena Smithii

Post by chriswaghorn »

Just after your thoughts on this one. Picked this up a few weeks ago and I'm thinking I should cut it back then just let it grow out. Wondering how far you would cut it back?
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Acmena Smithii

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Chris, I would not cut it as yet because if you do the trunk will not increase in size until the new leader grows to the same size as as the trunk. If it were mine I would give the roots a good trim (as it looks root bound), feed well and then let it grow until you are happy with the trunk diameter. Then cut to a low branch and feed, allow to grow again and keep repeating the sequence until you are pleased with the trunk thickness, taper and height of your tree.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

What are your expectations for the "grow out"? What are you trying to achieve?? My Lilly pilly have had no problem back budding which should help with options however mine is a dwarf variety I think.
Id be looking at one of the bottom two branches as my leader if your happy with trunk thickness currently..
I've noticed my Lilly pilly heals cuts reasonably well too.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
chriswaghorn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by chriswaghorn »

I don't have much of an idea for style, but if I cut it back to a new leader I'd wait for that to thicken up and start to look like a continuation of the trunk. But I think I need more options for lower branches, as most are on the top half of the trunk, so I'd hope for some good back budding and then growing of lower branches.

I guess I'm not sure of overall end height too. I think I tend to keep my trees a little tall (new to this all so having the courage to chop short if needed isn't a strength of mine yet)
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

chriswaghorn wrote: I think I tend to keep my trees a little tall (new to this all so having the courage to chop short if needed isn't a strength of mine yet)
then now is the time to learn :-)

Re style, Pick a style of tree you would like one day and then grow the trunk to suit. Short and thick, Tall and thinner, Slanting, Cascade, Whatever you want you can have with time
You are starting with a blank canvas so anything is possible.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I see the start of a good trunk from soil line to just above the first left branch in your first pic. Going with this I would trim back the top branches pretty hard and leave all the bottom branches. Keep the top growth in check until the bottom branches gain vigour and then let it all grow. Styling can come later when you have more foliage options.

Maybe wait to do a repot when the weather warms up and any new growth has hardened off for a while. One problem with root bound nursery material is you will probably have many circling roots and all originating from well below the soil line. Sometimes as you remove roots you will get back to roots that are in the form of the original pot or propagation plug, especially with cutting grown material which this probably is. Roots can often run straight up a short away from the trunk and there may even only be 2 or 3 of them. What I have done with some of this material is to only remove a small amount of root and plant then in a larger put higher than they were but still covering the roots with the idea to air or ground layer to get better roots. This way you can have a style in mid and angle the layer accordingly to get the roots at place you want them.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Acmena Smithii”