Jackwood - Cryptocaria glaucesens

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Jackwood - Cryptocaria glaucesens

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Lovely aged appearance :clap:
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Lovely Tree Symon. Great to see a rainforest tree with such high development.

You said in your first post that they are sometimes called Native Laurels because of the smell from the crushed leaves. But I believe its because they are from the Lauraceae family. (You may already know this) I have a few different species from the Lauraceae family that seem to do well as Bonsai. Nothing of this girth as they have all been grown from seeds or seedlings. Of the Rainforest trees I have tried, they seem to branch much more easily.

Species Im currently growing,

Ediandra globosa - Black Walnut (Not an actually walnut obviously)
Cryptocarya lavigata - Glossy Laurel
Cyptocarya triplenervis - Three veined laurel (Great examples by the coast around here. Old craggy bark, lots of rotting deadwood and lush full foliage)
And a couple of recently acquired Litsea reticulata (Bollygum) which have lots of branches on a 20cm tall tube stock seedling
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

Hey Dan, that's an exciting bunch of species. I can wait to see how they turn out. We don't see many Australian rainforest trees but there are so many great species. The major challenge is that tend to have big lush looking leaves, which ultimately you will want to reduce. I can't believe you are doing a bollygum!

The other challenge is how to style them. In the forest they rocket dead straight to the sky. Should you give them twisty trunks? What should the branches look like?

KCR - thanks buddy!
Cheers
Symon

Return to “Australian Native Species”