Podrocarpus Lawrencei advice request

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Re: Podrocarpus Lawrencei advice request

Post by Jan »

A bit late in the season but here we go. I checked the roots on this one (heaps - up to 3inches long) so decided to seperate the layer and replant it.
20220404_150158 Mountain Plum Pine Layer planted.jpg

We can do serious frosts on the Southern Tablelands so thought this one was better seperated, planted into a suitable size pot (until a suitable look/colour pot presents itself)to allow for a bit more root growth, and, to let me move this into the moderate climate of my old fish tank/cold frame for the coming winter. Didn't want to freeze the young roots.

So, now I have two. The original still had two branches below the layer. I am looking to train these scrambling up against a rock as you see them growing in the Snowys. I suspect the habit is to protect them from breaking under snow (additional support from the rock) and to use the rock as a heat simk to moderate the tempreture. For now it remains in its pot where I am hopeful it will begin to heal before I consider suitable rocks and a repot in late winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Re: Podrocarpus Lawrencei advice request

Post by Jan »

Well, so far, so good with the layer.
20221119_165845 Podrocarpus Lawrenci - Spring.jpg
20221119_165903 Podrocarpus Lawrenci.jpg
The layer has survived the winter and is still looking well. I'll leave it be for this season and continue growing it as an informal upright. I may eventually add a rock for it to shelter against as they do in the Snowys.

I have decided against a root over rock for the parent plant - the roots are just not suitable for that purpose, but I will look for a suitable rock to train its two branches against to mimic the wild plants in the High Country.

Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Australian Native Species”