A Little Slice

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Re: A Little Slice

Post by Rintar »

this tree has in the interim been IDed.it is a ricinocarpus pinifolius. Here is some progression photos as well Gavin hope it satisfies a forgotten 4-5 year itch lol. :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

This is interesting because ricinocarpus has not responded well as container plants for me. Does not seem to back bud on bare wood, hates shade and goes back if not fed well.
Please let us know how you care for this one.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

Unfortunately Matt the owner of the tree is banned. But here is some info he directed me to.

Wedding Bush - Ricinocarpos pinifolius

Not easily propagated and a bit difficult to cultivate as well, wedding bush is worth the effort, as Christine Howells reports....

Ricinocarpos pinifolius belongs to the family Euphorbiaceae. This family has around 280 genera with 7,000 species, mostly growing in tropical areas of America and Indo-Malaysia.

They can be trees, shrubs or herbs, some of which have milky sap and include a number of plants of economic importance such as those producing rubber, tung oil, (used in paint), cassava (a staple food in tropical areas), castor oil. and croton oil. Some members of the family are very poisonous.

Tasmanian representatives include Amperea, Micrantheum and Beyeria, as well as Ricinocarpos.

The genus Ricinocarpos is generally known as wedding bush and there are 15 Australian species and one in New Caledonia. Of the Australian species, there are ten in Western Australia, one in Queensland, one in the Northern Territory, two in Queensland and New South Wales, and Ricinocarpos pinifolius which extends from Queensland through New South Wales and Victoria to Tasmania. It just happens to be the most floriferous of the genus!

Ricinocarpos pinifolius
Ricinocarpos
pinifolius
Photo: Barbara Henderson
Click for a larger image
Ricinocarpos pinifolius is a small-to-medium shrub 1-3.5 metres tall and up to 2.5 metres wide. It may sucker, and it re-sprouts after fire. The leaves are narrow and the edges are often rolled in so they look like pine needles - hence the specific name pinifolius. The flowers are 2.5 cm (or one inch) across with a female flower quite often surrounded by a cluster of male flowers. The fruits are quite noticeable, being round and covered in soft short spines. Seeds are fairly large and hard but may be difficult to find as they are often eaten by bugs.

Propagation is not easy though smoke treatment of seed has improved results. If you damage a plant by pruning, fire or chopping the roots, the soft new growth can be propagated as cuttings.

Ricinocarpos pinifolius is very spectacular in flower often being totally covered in pure white blooms. It grows on sandy, acidic soils, needs very good drainage and copes with drought and frost. It grows quickly and responds well to pruning early on to make it bushy, and trimming regularly keeps it that way.

From "Eucryphia", Newsletter of the Australian Plants Society (Tasmania), July 2003. This article is based on a 'Flower of the month' presentation by Christine to the April 2003 meeting of the Hobart Group of the Society.
Hope that is helpful
Regards Jason

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

Unfortunately Matt the owner of the tree is banned. But here is some info he directed me to.

Wedding Bush - Ricinocarpos pinifolius

Not easily propagated and a bit difficult to cultivate as well, wedding bush is worth the effort, as Christine Howells reports....

Ricinocarpos pinifolius belongs to the family Euphorbiaceae. This family has around 280 genera with 7,000 species, mostly growing in tropical areas of America and Indo-Malaysia.

They can be trees, shrubs or herbs, some of which have milky sap and include a number of plants of economic importance such as those producing rubber, tung oil, (used in paint), cassava (a staple food in tropical areas), castor oil. and croton oil. Some members of the family are very poisonous.

Tasmanian representatives include Amperea, Micrantheum and Beyeria, as well as Ricinocarpos.

The genus Ricinocarpos is generally known as wedding bush and there are 15 Australian species and one in New Caledonia. Of the Australian species, there are ten in Western Australia, one in Queensland, one in the Northern Territory, two in Queensland and New South Wales, and Ricinocarpos pinifolius which extends from Queensland through New South Wales and Victoria to Tasmania. It just happens to be the most floriferous of the genus!

Ricinocarpos pinifolius
Ricinocarpos
pinifolius
Photo: Barbara Henderson
Click for a larger image
Ricinocarpos pinifolius is a small-to-medium shrub 1-3.5 metres tall and up to 2.5 metres wide. It may sucker, and it re-sprouts after fire. The leaves are narrow and the edges are often rolled in so they look like pine needles - hence the specific name pinifolius. The flowers are 2.5 cm (or one inch) across with a female flower quite often surrounded by a cluster of male flowers. The fruits are quite noticeable, being round and covered in soft short spines. Seeds are fairly large and hard but may be difficult to find as they are often eaten by bugs.

Propagation is not easy though smoke treatment of seed has improved results. If you damage a plant by pruning, fire or chopping the roots, the soft new growth can be propagated as cuttings.

Ricinocarpos pinifolius is very spectacular in flower often being totally covered in pure white blooms. It grows on sandy, acidic soils, needs very good drainage and copes with drought and frost. It grows quickly and responds well to pruning early on to make it bushy, and trimming regularly keeps it that way.

From "Eucryphia", Newsletter of the Australian Plants Society (Tasmania), July 2003. This article is based on a 'Flower of the month' presentation by Christine to the April 2003 meeting of the Hobart Group of the Society.
Hope that is helpful
Regards Jason

GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks for the follow-up Jason, and the copious information, twice even! I must admit I prefer something I can get a solid trunk with, but there is a whole world of slender-trunked graceful groups out there in the wild to use for inspiration. It's style we really haven't explored.

Thanks again,

Gavin
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

cheers Gavin don't know how or why it posted twice
Regards Jason

Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

This tree beguiles every time I visit the owner, even more so in flower.
wed1.jpg
wed2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Beautiful . Definitely a slice of
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Stunning in flower :tu:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Very impressive, I was always under the impression that wedding bush hated having their roots touched
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

TimS wrote: September 11th, 2020, 7:30 pm Very impressive, I was always under the impression that wedding bush hated having their roots touched
I know it has been repotted at least once since the original posts and is having a custom pot made by Tracey Francis so I will ask what the process is and how it responds next time I visit

Return to “Australian Native Species”