Allocasuarina (purple)

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
rayfam5
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: callistamons
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: yarravalley bonsai society

Allocasuarina (purple)

Post by rayfam5 »

HI I have this Allocasuarina (purple). Its been in a bonsai pot for about 2 years and it needs desperate shaping. I would love some ideas on shaping. I hope to re pot this season. What is the best way to prune. Tend to have long elongated branches that eventually weep. Should I go for a longer wide slow type weeping or sharp the weep by wiring.
bonsai 087.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Allocasuarina (purple)

Post by anttal63 »

hey ray good to see ya into cassa's! i will tell you what i would do if this tree was mine. come middle to late sept. i would trunk chop to the red line/1st branch. at the same time would lift it out of that pot, bare root it. select a few of the highest positioned roots and get rid of everything below them. then pot up in a poly styrene box with a good open mix, buried up to blue line hoping to get more roots at this flared area of the trunk. now let this baby run for 6 mnths to a year and then have a look at where the trunk line is going, maybe wire the trunk for movement. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
rayfam5
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: callistamons
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: yarravalley bonsai society

Post by rayfam5 »

WOw thanks for the advice. I never like the ball bit at the bottom.
Is it okay to bury below the soil line without too much risk then?
I love the challenge of working with natives.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

no risks ray as long as drainage is good. no worries enjoy. :D
Regards Antonio:
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Thank you HEAPS. I killed an allocasurina last November when I got it and repotted by bare rooting and into different soil. Sudden death. Tree was healthy so it was my doing. I only just repotted the second one last week and the vibes are really good for success this time around. So that's an improvement. But never knew you could get roots like that and these trees do tend to form balls at the base so that's great information. I have a small one that has a slight ball... when the weather warms up I will try this but I have just repotted it and don't want to disturb it yet. It's not great but it could be... particularly if I can get a bit of root flare.

I have never consciously noted the purple foliage... how lovely. I could say I should look out for one but I have TOO MANY TREES now.... I'll just enjoy. Thanks for the tips.

I agree with the styling cuts... exactly what I was thinking when I saw the first photo. I was wary with my tree and a native fanatic told me to cut hard and cut the branchlets hard. I did that and the tree turned around... went from sitting doing nothing to shooting everywhere.
Last edited by MelaQuin on July 26th, 2009, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

sorry to hear of the lost one but good to hear on the success. lee i have bare rooted cassa's all year round except winter and not lost one yet. i have no idea why it died on you. i do find they gotta stay wet when first repotted. :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Australian Native Species”