Banksia Occidentalis

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
rayfam5
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: callistamons
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: yarravalley bonsai society

Banksia Occidentalis

Post by rayfam5 »

Here is a Banksia Occidentalis. Its about 7-8 years old, small. had some flowers this year which was exciting to see. Wonder if I should re pot in a much bigger training pot and let it go for a year to thinking up the trunk. any advice. What is the best way to prune the 'star' studded new shoots. Is there a rule to which ones to cut out? Should it be really thinned out or not?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Banksia Occidentalis

Post by anttal63 »

ray its great to see all the natives you are playing with. all of them have potential, and this is no exception. for the amount of years you have had them, you have'nt achieved much in the way of trunk developement. yet you do have over grown canopies which overwhelm the under sized trunks. this is because they have probably been put into bonsai pots too early. ( guessing ) like the advice i gave you on your allocassuarina purple, most of your trees would really benefit and improve from a good hard cut back and some growing on and developing in larger container's or boxe's. just my 2 bob, hope i have not over stepped the mark. :D
Regards Antonio:
rayfam5
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: callistamons
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: yarravalley bonsai society

Post by rayfam5 »

Thanks for your advice and no you certainly have not stepped over the mark. In fact I would like you to step into my yard and give me some more advice. I love to work with natives but I know I have a lot to learn. One question can I trim them now or wait till warmer weather. I know not to re pot now although I have pondered the idea of placing it in a bigger training pot.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

rayfam5 wrote:Thanks for your advice and no you certainly have not stepped over the mark. In fact I would like you to step into my yard and give me some more advice. I love to work with natives but I know I have a lot to learn. One question can I trim them now or wait till warmer weather. I know not to re pot now although I have pondered the idea of placing it in a bigger training pot.
cool ray love to get together some time and chew the fat. best to wait and do all of it together, balancing top and bottom together. pruning hard now can push new growth that could be tender to any more frosts coming. :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Australian Native Species”