My Ficus Eugenoides present

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

My Ficus Eugenoides present

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

Sometimes its difficult to let go of something youve taken care of for over 20 years. In 1987 when I was 12 years old and starting bonsai I bought a rootbound straight trunk fig with only 2 leaves in a small plastic pot from a landscape nursery in Miranda. The nursery no longer exists. At the time I was told by the owner that it was over 10 years old. I had no bonsai books to refer to and I never had copper wires then, I only used strings but this tree was too thick anyway.Its probably tripled in size since then as you can see by the ruler that the trunk is pretty thick. Along with a 1978 redpine, Im giving this fig tree to my little sister and my future brother in law as a wedding gift. The leaves can easily be reduced to a third its size, but Im lazy and have too many trees to maintain so I will let my sis do it. The pot is an old houtoku pot which you can tell by the feet. Anyone out there given away a bonsai that theyve spent hundreds of hour on? Im feeling quite proud of letting go. ;)
edwards bonsai gallery 093.jpg
edwards bonsai gallery 094.jpg
edwards bonsai gallery 095.jpg
edwards bonsai gallery 096.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: My Ficus Eugenoides present

Post by Steven »

WOW!
I sure hope your little sister and her new husband appreciate what you have given them Edward. I also hope they have at least a basic understanding of looking after plants in containers :?
I have given away bonsai to friends, family and colleagues over the years but never anything with such history or as special as this one. I sometimes wonder if it is actually a burden for them?!
Edward Scissorhand wrote:but Im lazy and have too many trees to maintain
I'd be more than happy to take any off your hands mate ;)
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: My Ficus Eugenoides present

Post by MelaQuin »

I am sure they will appreciate it, look after it and bring it back to you when it needs care so I have a feeling it won't be that far away... unless they live in Brisbane or places equally far from your backyard.

Return to “Australian Native Species”