Calling All Eucalyptus Experts

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Calling All Eucalyptus Experts

Post by Jester »

Hi Guys,soon I will be propagating the tree you see in the in the photos below. I do not have access to the property so this is the best I can do as far as photos go. The second photo shows the unusually shaped seed pod .Does anyone think the know the common and botanical name?

Many thanks

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: Calling All Eucalyptus Experts

Post by Damian Bee »

Ahh Jester, surely you jest :P
The tree in pic 3 looks like Corymbia citriodora (Eucalyptus citriodora) and the seed pod in pic 2 belongs to a Fraxinus sp.
If the leaves in pic 1 have a lemon sort of smelll then citriodora it is.
;)
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Damian Bee »

Ps. Another factor is that flowers are just beginning to develop on the Eucy.

If you want to propagate this species, it is easy. Just place some nice composted mulch in under where the seed will drop and water occasionally and you will see some litte reddish green seedlings sprouting in late summer, when they put out their true leaves they will have redd hairs on them and will have a strong lemon fragrance. While they are young you can transplant them. I think if you are going to try Bonsai on it then it will need to be a large specimen. ;)
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Jester »

Damien what you just said makes perfect sense. For a long time now I have had hundreds of these seeds blowing into our yard from the house across the lane way. They do in fact have a very large lemon-scented eucalyptus in their yard and 'til now we all took it for granted that this is where the seeds were coming from. After what you said, I did some further research and low and behold, when I went out to the balcony to have a better look, there was an Ash directly underneath it. So you had all 3 correct.....the tree, the leaves and the seed. Your knowledge blows me away!! Thanks very much for your help Damian. The only downside, is that for my seed research assignment I can't use Ash as it is not on their list of species. Never mind!! :P :P :P :P
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

Mind blowing Damian - with those detective skills, you must be fun to play Cluedo with :D
Last edited by sreeve on August 26th, 2009, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Damian Bee »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Jester
I'm not feeling overly confident, but I'm worried about calling the seed in your photo 2 an ash seed (Fraxinus). The Fraxinus seeds I know all have 'symetrical' seeds: the 'seed' is 'ovalish in outline and sits pretty much in the middle of the wing. The seed in your photo is 'asymetrical, with the seed and a hard extension running up one side of the wing. Seeds like that are more like what I know of as Acer (maple) seeds.

There are many species in each of these genera and I could be quite wrong.
Cheers
Kunzea
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Jester
Just one more note. I was a bit worried about the seed portion of your photo being rather long and narrow (not counting the wing), whereas most maples have roundish seeds. On checking a bit, Acer negundo (black maple) has seed like yours. do you know if you have A. negundo near you? The seeds travel quite well in the wind and are spread well by kids too. They have been planted extensively in gardens, but are also quite weedy and can be found where they are not wanted.
K
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

Jester i agree with Kunzea. Picture 2 is a seed from an acer negundo. i see these seeds every day.Come summer am pulling them seedlings up every where. We have these large trees around our gardens. When the breez blows these little helicopter like spinning seeds start flying. They are quick growers, but they do fall back when transplanted. Also very hardy in all kind of weather. ;)
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...

Return to “Australian Native Species”