AABC 2019 'The Photos'

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: AABC 2019 'The Photos'

Post by Matt S »

Great effort Gerard, thanks.

This convention felt like a turning point for Australian Natives. I think we'll always look back on 2019 as a breakthrough year.

I've been talking to a few people on return and we've been laughing at how we push past the natives when we're on digs to get at the olives, ashs and hawthorns. Most of our digs are on council land and national parks so obviously we can't dig anything other than exotics but we'll be keeping an eye out now for any local species with potential.

Matt.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Thanks Gavin, appreciate your efforts.

Great to see what can be done with our natives and inspiration for some of my young trees.

Cheers
terryb
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Stunning, STUNNING exhibition. So well planned and executed and the trees on display were magnificent. This has been the BEST AABC Convention I have attended. WELL DONE to all the organisers and CONGRATULATIONS to our natives that have proved to be such wonderful bonsai. And to the potters who made so many of the wonderful pots that conveyed the Australian feel. It was just the best weekend.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

After the weekend that was I came away from the AABC convention on my first real bonsai “high”. Both the demonstrations and the exhibition gave me such a buzz and inspired my desire, all I could think about over this past week was working on my trees. Fantastic effort by all involved, and as has already been said numerous times, the effort to post all these trees Gerard is no exception. A job well done!
:beer:
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

A beautiful display of truly inspiring Trees. Thanks to all who made it possible and to Gerard for his photos and the great descriptions of each tree. Cheers John.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

From me too, many thanks, Gerard. It was very enjoyable to look at each tree in peace and read the captions. I enjoyed the unexpected, like Eucalyptus polyanthemos and the ultra-slender Casuarinas. It just goes to show that bonsai does not have to include weighty trunks and dense foliage pads to have artistic appeal.
If I'm right, Marcela got the Curator's prize with her Prickly paperbark, nr 35 on this post. Well deserved!

Lisa
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Well done to all! Some exceptional pieces!
Regards Antonio:
jehsiboi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jehsiboi »

These trees are amazing.
1trackmind
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives

Angophora costata

Post by 1trackmind »

Gerard wrote: May 25th, 2019, 10:16 pm Victorian Native Bonsai Club Inc
in conjunction with
the 32nd Australian Association of Bonsai Clubs Convention
presents

Australian Natives Breaking Through the Bonsai Ceiling

18th – 19th May 2019
Mantra Bell City
Melbourne

Welcome to the 2019 Exhibition of Bonsai by the Victorian Native Bonsai Club as part of the 32nd National Convention of the Australian Association of Bonsai Clubs.

The ancient art of bonsai growing has spread far and wide across the world in modern times. While many of the traditional northern hemisphere plant species have provided the early backbone for bonsai development in Australia and many other countries, there has long been keen interest in exploring how other species found throughout the world could be used for bonsai growing.

We have such an extraordinary wealth of native plant species which are indigenous to Australia, across many ecosystems and climatic conditions, ranging from alpine areas to rainforests, coasts, open plains and deserts. The potential for growing this exciting range of plants as bonsai continues to be actively explored throughout the country.

This exhibition is intended to highlight a number of excellent examples of what has been achieved in transforming many Australian native species into outstanding bonsai, and to demonstrate the potential of some of the wide range of native plant species for combining the long-established principles of bonsai development with the unique growth habits and characteristics of our native plant species to achieve great bonsai.

For many of these trees, their own particular characteristics and their places in the landscape provide inspiration for their development as bonsai, while using the established principles, history and art of bonsai to bring out the best in each tree to match what can be found elsewhere around the world.

For this exhibition, we have brought together a diverse range of plant species, found both locally in Victoria as well as more widely across Australia, in a range of different bonsai styles, which we hope will inspire the viewers to continue to innovate and explore what can be achieved in using our native plant inheritance to grow outstanding bonsai.aabc1901.jpg1. Tristaniopsis laurina
Water gum

This Water Gum started as garden nursery stock just prior to the year 2000. It was purchased by the current owner around the start of 2017 as pre bonsai material from a fellow club member. Since that time the tree has had several small trunks removed from the clump style and has had its design set and refined. The tree in the space of 2 years has had significant roots removed to be able to get it into a Bonsai pot. This variety of tree exhibits great traits to be further explored as Bonsai material. Water Gum is very vigorous and can endure defoliation to reduce leaf size. The secondary branching on this tree and the silhouette has all been developed in the space of 2 years. The final stages of design would see the tree set in a shallow oval pot to compliment the wide spread of foliage. The tree currently sits in a Murrumbung Studio Ceramics pot locally made by Tracey Francis.aabc1902.jpg2. Agonis flexuosa
Willow myrtle

Grown from seed collected in 1994, the parent tree portrays characteristics of advanced age, including dense foliage and fissured bark. The tree exhibits strength and presence.aabc1903.jpg. Melaleuca incana
Grey honeymyrtle

Grown from tubestock (2001). A large lower branch was removed (2010) in a restyling. With graceful form, this tree encapsulates two opposites seamlessly - toughness and softness.aabc1904.jpg4. Sannantha bidwillii (syn Sannantha virgata)
previously known as Baeckea

Grown from tubestock in 2008, this delicate looking little tree belies its toughness. A profusion of tiny white flowers in Spring.aabc1905.jpg5. Leptospermum polygalifolium
“Pink Cascade”

Collected as urban Yamadori in 2016. Showed at the 6th Symposium on Australian Native Plants as Bonsai in 2017 after only 8 months training. Flowers profusely at the end of winter with an amazing display of delicate, light pink flowers. In the winter of 2018, it was badly frost bitten and 50% of foliage was lost, it appeared like it would not recover but made a full come back with no major losses even though the species is known not to bud back on old wood where no foliage appears.aabc1906.jpg6. Melaleuca gibbosa
Slender honeymyrtle
Nursery stock plant, styled at the 4th Symposium on Australian Native Plants as Bonsai in 2015. Potted into current ornamental container in 2018. Small grey foliage is attractive and gives a good miniature characteristic. It responds well to tip pruning, root pruning and wiring. Currently attempting to push growth back to create denser canopy.aabc1907c.jpg7. Melaleuca linariifolia
Snow in summer

Collected in the Spring of 2016 from a local walking track, it began with few roots and once potted up developed roots very easily. The canopy has grown prolifically and has responded extremely well to hard pruning. It freely buds back on old wood and even down onto the old trunks. Still in training with a view to maintain the same shape and style.aabc1908.jpg8. Kunzea ambigua
White kunzea, Tick bush

Collected in NSW in Aug 2016 by Hugh Grant, first styled March 2017 at the 6th Symposium on Australian Native Plants as Bonsai. Tree is old with good character and movement, shoots back on old wood, weeping nature. Pot: Marg Fennaabc1909.jpg9. Kunzea peduncularis
Burgan
burgan (Woi Wurrung)

Collected from the Seymour, Victoria, area 2 - 3 years ago, one of my few early collected survivors. Collection results have improved considerably since then with the aid of a misted greenhouse for recovery. Styled in a Literati style. Pot: Marg Fennaabc1910.jpg10. Leptospermum laevigatum
Coastal tea tree
nowart (Ganai)
The tree was purchased from a local bonsai club sale day 3 - 4 years ago. Origin unknown, possibly nursery stock grown from seed. The unique bend in the trunk required a pot with a difference. Planted on natural slate, retaining wall created out of clay and moss. The moss on the surface prevents the wall from drying out and cracking.
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

It seems such a long time ago, the club will have it's first show since the convention (2 years on) this Friday night and Saturday March 19 and 20 2021
VNBC 2021 Show Flyer A4 V6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Looking forward to attending on opening night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

I forgot how good the 2019 trees were. Can it be as good this year?

Thanks for posting these back then Gerard.
Cheers,
Symon

Return to “Australian Native Species”