Wiring natives in Sydney in late summer

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
MattM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 2

Wiring natives in Sydney in late summer

Post by MattM »

Want to know people's thoughts on when they wire there natives? I usually wire my banksias when the branches harden off in autumn/winter, with mixed results I might add. I have some Melaleucas and Banksias that I would like to try wirings now while the branches are still young. Is this a good idea?

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Wiring natives in Sydney in late summer

Post by Watto »

I wired a Melaleuca about two weeks ago and it seams fine. The wiring was easy as I trimmed before wiring.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I wire any trees whenever they need it. With deciduous it is easier to wait until winter so it is easier to see where you are going but no point waiting with natives because they don't lose the leaves.
There is a small risk that the bark can separate from the wood while they are actively growing but I have not actually seen that often. The occasional dead bit soon grows back on young native stock anyway and will probably enhance the movement more than just bending.

Do the banksias really need wiring? I seem to get a better, more natural look using pruning to direct the growth.
Mels take wiring and bending really well and I think now will be as good a time as any.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Agree with above... wire now is perfectly fine in my experience. I just wired several Mel species and Casuarina without a second thought. On those for certain I wouldn’t be concerned, in fact I think it’s a good time.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

So with my B.Eric....i can chop off the other 6 leaders and leave a stump?
MattM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by MattM »

shibui wrote: January 30th, 2020, 6:29 pm I wire any trees whenever they need it. With deciduous it is easier to wait until winter so it is easier to see where you are going but no point waiting with natives because they don't lose the leaves.
There is a small risk that the bark can separate from the wood while they are actively growing but I have not actually seen that often. The occasional dead bit soon grows back on young native stock anyway and will probably enhance the movement more than just bending.

Do the banksias really need wiring? I seem to get a better, more natural look using pruning to direct the growth.
Mels take wiring and bending really well and I think now will be as good a time as any.
How hard do you prune back your Banksias to get movement in the branches? Do you have any pictures of this? I am just a novice but I wire for movement and also prune them. Am keen to learn.
Matt
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I find that the eastern banksias I've worked with will sprout new buds all over whatever is left after pruning. It does not seem to matter how much I cut off. They will bud from the remaining stump or remaining branches. Note that younger branches occasionally die back to the trunk after pruning and new shoots will grow from the trunk. I've worked mainly with B. integrifolia, B. marginata, B. serrata and just a couple of B. ericifolias and B. spinulosa.

I managed to find these 3 progression shots of a young B. integ I pruned years ago.
Banksia integ pruned hard.JPG
Banksia integ pruned hard buds.JPG
Banksia integ cut hard 2011 3.JPG
I don't think I have any photos of pruning branches but I just lop them off where I want sub branches or bends and use any new shoots to grow the branch again.
Most of my banksias are smallish trees so most pruning now is pinching the new shoots back to 1 or 2 sets of leaves to maintain overall shape.

If you haven't seen my thread on digging banksias it may give a few more ideas about what is possible with them.
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... =9&t=27838
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Australian Native Species”