Caltrix Tetragona.

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Caltrix Tetragona.

Post by boom64 »

Hi Al, have been working on this tree for several years. Originally it was growing flat on the ground and had a set of nice long roots. Each repot I have been slowly getting a little bit more upright ,this year it finally made it into a pot. Not ideal but the shape was right. I cut back pretty hard as they usually bud at the cut spot. However this time they started drying out and the leaves began to drop .Not Good.. Luckily we had some fairly decent rain and this did the trick as it started to bud up. Growing well now. Interesting little layer happening , there is a 1mm live vein that extends down from the top branch to the small horizontal branch. Looking forward to the flowers ,lovely little white star shapes.
Cheers John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Caltrix Tetragona.

Post by anthonyW »

Interesting John, I like it, whats that saying?...i think i can make it, i think i can make it!..struggle street

Another one outside the box, you are on top of it i see, your bottom branch will always dictate the top foliage mass, being away from the trunk that much trying to survive gasping for air, it must be thin and spread..illusion to health, so as said the head can not be too heavy while that branch stays in play, tough gig, fine line...great imagination you have or is that mine running away haha :D

cheers
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Caltrix Tetragona.

Post by MJL »

anthonyW wrote:Interesting John, I like it, whats that saying?......great imagination you have or is that mine running away haha :D
cheers
That’s what I enjoy when viewing a bonsai - young or old ...”What’s the tree, the group, the composition - whatever style - saying to me. I prefer trees pushing the envelope a little - when it works, it’s a treat, when it doesn’t - at least there’s an attempt at something interesting, powerful, natural, raw ....if a tree causes little emotion or ‘meh!’ - like many of my trees - is not bad or good but it makes me think where’s the opportunity to help the tree say something; to inspire thought.

Another cool tree in development here John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Thanks Anthony and Mark ,love the story ..Hopefully a nice thin pot and a few years to fill out might result in something a little bit better on the eye. I think I will have to start going for something a little bit more substantial in the future, instead of the poor neglected ones. Well maybe...
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Don't give up on neglect. Remember that those well refined and looked after ones are a lot of work!!!!
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Australian Native Species”