ID tree in the neighbourhood

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Joshua
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club Montpellier

ID tree in the neighbourhood

Post by Joshua »

I saw this tree growing in my neighbourhood and thought it looks like some kind of Eucalypt.
I'm not living in Aus so it caught my attention!

I tried using the EUCLID tool and managed to narrow it down to about 90 species based on just mature bark and leaves. Didn't see any flowers or fruit on it.
I thought if I'm lucky someone might just recognise what it is from the photos.

It's growing in someone's front yard but behind a wall, with some overhanging branches in the street. If somehow it makes some low-hanging fruit I want to try to get some seeds off it :)
tree_id_habit.jpeg
Growth habit.
tree_id_bark.jpeg
Leaves and bark.
tree_id_leaves.jpeg
Closer up of just the leaves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: ID tree in the neighbourhood

Post by its_kano »

I'd say you're right in assuming eucalyptus.Looks like a smooth bark type. We used to to jump up as kids and swing on them till the bark snapped off 😂
"Shedding eucalyptus tree bark may help keep the tree healthy. As the tree sheds its bark, it also sheds any mosses, lichens, fungi and parasites that may live on the bark. Some peeling bark can perform photosynthesis, contributing to the rapid growth and overall health of the tree"
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I'm happy to go with Eucalyptus at this stage but there are still quite a few that share those characteristics. Without fruit or buds it will be hard to correctly ID to species. Sometimes you can find old fruit capsules on the ground under the tree.

Some species that have ribbon bark include:
E. viminalis
E. regnans
E. rubida
E. smithii
E. glaucescens
E. chapmanii

There are probably more I'm not aware of too.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joshua
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club Montpellier

Post by Joshua »

I found another couple in a park today and comparing the photos I'm pretty sure it's the same species. These ones were a little younger and had some fruit on them plus loads lying around on the ground. I picked a couple up.

By dumb luck I saw a picture of an E. Globulus fruit,, and I think that's it. Blue gum. Can't be sure but they look pretty similar to me. It has that powdery white texture and those ribbed edges.

Also just in case I did some image searches to find pictures of the fruits of the species you mentioned Shibui, but none of them really matched like this one.

Here are the pics from today:
eucalypt_leaves.jpeg
eucalypt_sheddingbark_leaves.jpeg
eucalypt_trunk.jpeg
eucalypt_seed_2.jpeg
eucalypt_seed_1.jpeg
I'm thinking of planting the seeds for fun, but what do I do? Just leave them in a sunny spot until the fruits start to open up a bit more? Or have these fallen too early off the tree? (still pretty green)

ps.
Sorry I realised later that there was a specific part of the forum dedicated to requesting IDs. Is there a way to 'move' a thread to another part of the forum? Or should I just not worry about it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Those fruits are distinctive - Eucalyptus globulus - southern blue gum. There are a few sub species but those look like E. globulus globulus from southern Vic and Tasmania (where I believe they call it swamp gum)
Adults should have really long leaves - up to 40 cm long around here but the juvenile leaves are completely different - blue grey and round.

Those fruits might be a bit immature yet but often the seed is viable well before the fruit is properly ripe so you could try. Put the fruits in a paper bag or open container so they dry out. As they dry the valves at the top will open and the seed (and packing) drops out.
Sprinkle seeds on the top of potting soil and keep damp. They should sprout in a week or so.

Don't worry about the sub forum. They are only really to help others search for relevant threads. If one of the mods want to move it they will.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SmokeyKilla
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by SmokeyKilla »

Yep definitely a blue gum

Return to “Australian Native Species”