Who is growing/has grown/has any experience growing Callitris Preissii as bonsai

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Who is growing/has grown/has any experience growing Callitris Preissii as bonsai

Post by Patmet »

I'm on the hunt for any knowledge, pictures, experience etc.. on developing Callitris Preissii (Rottnest Island Pine) as bonsai.

I have found some older threads on here with a couple of pictures and bits of info here and there but nothing too much.

I feel as though they are under utilised as bonsai? Being Western Australia's only native conifer i am extremely curious of their potential. There are a lot around the place in the wild and suburbia where i live in the Southwest corner of WA. They seem to take on many shapes and forms as they age, and grow in very harsh conditions near the ocean.

I have three of them i am starting to experiment with, but it would save a lot of set-backs if anyone knows how they respond to wiring and pruning with backbudding and the like. If not i'll just trial and error to find out.

Very much appreciate anyone out there with anything to offer

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk

greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Who is growing/has grown/has any experience growing Callitris Preissii as bonsai

Post by greg27 »

I bought one of these as tubestock about six months ago. It put on a decent amount of growth over autumn/winter - I'd say it's doubled in size since I bought it. I repotted it about a week ago and took off about 50% of the roots and it didn't seem to care. Obviously very early days for this one though.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Who is growing/has grown/has any experience growing Callitris Preissii as bonsai

Post by Patmet »

greg27 wrote:I bought one of these as tubestock about six months ago. It put on a decent amount of growth over autumn/winter - I'd say it's doubled in size since I bought it. I repotted it about a week ago and took off about 50% of the roots and it didn't seem to care. Obviously very early days for this one though.
Nice, that's good to know. Hopefully it keeps powering on. I have found them to grow vigorously and quite fast as well. I have two tubestock and one larger nursery specimen.

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk

Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Went out to look at a local national park today and found these old Callitris Preissii amongst many younger ones. The foliage was a brilliant vibrant green. Much more vibrant than my specimens here at home.

These are growing down in a gully on the edge of an inlet. Interesting to see them take more of an open tree form in a sheltered area. I'm used to seeing them grow short and bushy unprotected on the coast where i live.

Appologies for the relatively poor photo quality they were hard to photograph well with my phone and the light.
20220103_120705.jpg
20220103_120641.jpg
20220103_121029.jpg
20220103_121108.jpg
20220103_121135.jpg
20220103_121148.jpg
20220103_121246.jpg
20220103_121459.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Lovely Tree Patmet ,with age those big old branches start to go on there own journey plus all the deadwood how could you not love them. Great example to aim for . Cheers John.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Great colour in those trees, plus heaps of deadwood which seems to be a feature of so many natives.

Return to “Australian Native Species”